Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someone got that scarce GREEN WHIPPET

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh -- I really like that Borsalino. The ribbon on the Barbisio is quite unique. Wow!

Mr. 'H' -- Nice lookin' lid! What is it?

scotrace said:
I'm going to write down my sealed bet on this just-sold green whippet and state my belief that it is GREEN. Not a sort of Lovat or olive, but St. Patrick's Day GREEN. I hope it is - as that makes it that much more desirable IMO. You have to remember that in the late 40's - early 50's there was this particular family of green shades that was hugely popular on many decorative objects. So I put a buck on it being not so gray...

olds5401b.jpg

Man, I love the interior shot of that car -- classic! What can you tell us about it?

OK, Scott -- you're on. I'll put up a drink at the next Michigan/Ohio Loungers get-together! ;) The Seller's use of the term "khaki" makes me think things could be headed toward a more subdued green. At the same time, even accounting for the fact that the flash shot lightens things quite a bit, it's hard for me to imagine how a hat the color of Feraud's could wind up that damn GREEN!

Cheers,
JtL

J.B.

Practically Family
barrowjh said:
Ok, I wanna post my greenies - First is a Borsalino in 'ninfea' (translates to water lilly) green...

second is a Barbiso that is a 'kelly' green, but the ribbon sucked me in . . .

burglargx7.jpg

hm. I was just thinking that ol' Seamus "Fedora Filcher" Flaherty hasn't put in an appearance lately, but those two beauties seem to have lured him back into his nefarious "business"?! :D

The Barbisio is fantastic!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well, it finally arrived! Verdict?...I believe that it is a match to Feraud's lid, as I had originally suspected. In the end, the Seller's verbal description of "khaki green" was actually quite accurate. The color of the hat is extremely close to the lid in this 1944 Stetson ad:

1944StetsonAd.jpg

The ribbon, in terms of width, treatment and color, is an exact match to the green ribbon on the brown '48 Stetson I received a month ago.

Although I know there can be some pretty wide variations between auction photos and the real thing, it really is a mystery to me how the original auction photo came out so darn green! But, the khaki green is gorgeous, and I think it will actually be an extremely versatile lid.

The hat is in extremely good condition. That being said, it has clearly been stored in a musty attic or basement, and, for the first time, I'm thinking of sending it out to Optimo for cleaning before doing anything more. I'll post photos of the hat once I get it back from Optimo.

Cheers,
JtL

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Green, you say?

green_suit_2.jpg

The hat came out a vintage clothing shop in Guerneville, CA...marked as belonging to a 'Dr. Beyer'. Back bow, overwelt with 3 rows of stitching. The brim is quite wide(2 1/2") the crown is high, the ribbon is very wide(at least 2") and it's a 7 1/8, sort of an odd duck, considering the back bow was more of a '50s phenomenon, and both brims and ribbons shrank in that era. Supposedly it's 'custom made'...there's no particular brand, although it's marked as beaver felt. I'll have to look at it again when I get home.

The Whippet looks like one hell of a hat! Nice kill!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just about fell out of my chair when I came across this Stetson ad, which is a dead-on rendition of the green whippet that I just sent out to Optimo for a clean and block:

1949StetsonLancer.jpg

This ad is for the Stetson "Lancer." Anyone ever heard of this model? Went for $16.50 in 1949 -- a time when Whippets were going for $10, so this was a pretty substantial upgrade. Interesting that the green lid is paired with a gray/light brown suit in the ad. (I love the stories these old ads tell...)

Cheers,
JtL

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Just about fell out of my chair when I came across this Stetson ad, which is a dead-on rendition of the green whippet that I just sent out to Optimo for a clean and block:

1949StetsonLancer.jpg

This ad is for the Stetson "Lancer." Anyone ever heard of this model? Went for $16.50 in 1949 -- a time when Whippets were going for $10, so this was a pretty substantial upgrade. Interesting that the green lid is paired with a gray/light brown suit in the ad. (I love the stories these old ads tell...)

Cheers,
JtL
Deelovely has a Black lancer that has a price sticker inside that says 13.95 . Any idea what the age might be?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab

090107004.jpg

I love this hat--the color, that ribbon, the form. Beauteous.

Feraud

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:

090107004.jpg

I love this hat--the color, that ribbon, the form. Beauteous.
That is a great looking hat. I like interesting ribbons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust