Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Someday I'll copy that suit (dress, skirt, blouse)...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've got a folder on my computer where I keep pictures of vintage clothes I'd like to copy either because I didn't win the original, the original isn't my size or the original is in a film or in a museum somewhere. Do any of you do this too? Please post pictures of inspirations or your finished products (I'll contribute mine tomorrow).

Shearer

Practically Family
I do it! I've done it twice for eBay stuff... once with a dress I lost in a bidding war, and once with the dress below. It looks disconcertingly like a wedding dress, though it I believe it was listed as a cocktail gown. I think it would look nice in emerald green (or if pigs fly, in that ivory as a wedding gown ;) )

ivory1.jpg

ivory4.jpg

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Shearer said:
I do it! I've done it twice for eBay stuff... once with a dress I lost in a bidding war, and once with the dress below. It looks disconcertingly like a wedding dress, though it I believe it was listed as a cocktail gown. I think it would look nice in emerald green (or if pigs fly, in that ivory as a wedding gown ;) )

ivory1.jpg

ivory4.jpg

Wow, Shearer, that dress is gorgeous, I love the colour. :eusa_clap

Snookie

Practically Family
Not a direct copy, but this blouse from the Aviator was the inspiration for one I made (sorry it's so tiny, it's the best I could find):
story.hughes.hepburn.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

For a long time I wanted to reproduce this type of jacket:
40mexjacket.jpg

4omexpocket.jpg

McCallsMexicanJacket.jpg

I've also got a thing for 30's pyjamas. Lots of pics of these:
Pictoral1019.jpg

This outfit is right up my alley:
JumperPattern.jpg

This is the best. I saved this pic a while ago (I like the two-tone version), and then my friend (Lotus Leroux on here...) gave the pattern to me for my birthday! I wonder if she was the winner of the Ebay auction I stole it from...
HollywoodDress.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm obsessed with Amy Jeanne's livejournal posts, I save so many of the photos for fashion, hair and makeup inspiration. But the one I keep coming back to is this one of Beverly Tyler:

beverly_tyler_1001.jpg

I wish there was a full length picture, I would love to see what the rest of the dress looks like. I'm sure it's lovely. I would just die to have something like that.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I'm obsessed with Amy Jeanne's livejournal posts, I save so many of the photos for fashion, hair and makeup inspiration. But the one I keep coming back to is this one of Beverly Tyler:

Well aren't you sweet! I have another photo of Bev in my latest entry, which is dedicated to the Fabulous 40s!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I've got a folder on my computer where I keep pictures of vintage clothes I'd like to copy either because I didn't win the original, the original isn't my size or the original is in a film or in a museum somewhere. Do any of you do this too? Please post pictures of inspirations or your finished products (I'll contribute mine tomorrow).

I've been doing something like that since I was a kid. I grew up watching old movies & would scribble notes on the outfits I liked & what movie it was in, assuming that I would eventually have a dressmaker who'd make them all for me. I still don't have a dressmaker & I still haven't learned to sew. :rolleyes:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Such beautiful things everyone!

Here are a few images from my stash. If I made everything in my photo folder I'd be sewing for the rest of my life!

black40stop.jpg

ec1b_1.jpg

A "bow" theme--you can't see it too well but that dress has a bow on the shoulder to complete the package look

floral.jpg

I always picture this in navy blue

30ea_1.jpg

It would probably take me a million years to create a pattern for this but I love this jacket (a Lilli Ann of course).

a63a_1.jpg

I've got the faux persian lamb for this, I just need to find that perfect "40's green" cloth

beadblouse2.jpg

Great blouse, I'd make it in a different color though

dd_1.jpg

new1.jpg

new3.jpg

Two very different coats to end--I love, love, love the black one.

Blondie

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Such beautiful things everyone!

Here are a few images from my stash. If I made everything in my photo folder I'd be sewing for the rest of my life!

black40stop.jpg

ec1b_1.jpg

A "bow" theme--you can't see it too well but that dress has a bow on the shoulder to complete the package look

floral.jpg

I always picture this in navy blue

30ea_1.jpg

It would probably take me a million years to create a pattern for this but I love this jacket (a Lilli Ann of course).

a63a_1.jpg

I've got the faux persian lamb for this, I just need to find that perfect "40's green" cloth

beadblouse2.jpg

Great blouse, I'd make it in a different color though

dd_1.jpg

new1.jpg

new3.jpg

Two very different coats to end--I love, love, love the black one.
That red & leopard coat is to DIE for,
and i LOVE LOVE LOVE that black blouse with the white bow !!!!!!!!!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure that leopard print coat has a hood too--my version would anyhow!

A few more images.

Looking through my "to be copied" folder I've realized I should change my moniker from "I'm Old Fashioned" to "I Like Bows". So many images of dresses with bows I've got!

RAY5.jpg

RAY5DETAIL4.jpg

noir4.jpg

e0026045.jpg

Here's some without bows:

9300.jpg

A-93-RustBrn40sDrs-1-1.jpg

mustard-dress-full-1.jpg

I love this dress except for the color, one of my favorites

d35f_1.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oh gosh, I'd love any number of Ginger Rogers dresses from her 30s movies, but ESPECIALLY this one:

tophatfeatherdress2.jpg

I have loved this dress since I first saw Top Hat (still my favourite Fred and Ginger film), although I would have it in a different colour to the original pale blue, perhaps eau de nile green.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
Oh gosh, I'd love any number of Ginger Rogers dresses from her 30s movies, but ESPECIALLY this one:

tophatfeatherdress2.jpg

I have loved this dress since I first saw Top Hat (still my favourite Fred and Ginger film), although I would have it in a different colour to the original pale blue, perhaps eau de nile green.

That dress in green would be a dream! I wonder how you'd even begin to sew with feathers? Ginger had great wardrobes in her films with Fred Astaire particularly--there's like 3 dresses a film I'd copy in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe