Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So whats so horrible about the new Stetsons anyway?

Very interesting, Tom. I never noticed it before, but the Wanderer looks just like a Playboy but with a bound edge. I wonder what made up that 5 dollar price difference? Quality designation perhaps?

When I ordered my first custom from Art, I told Jimmy the Lid I was getting a Playboy with a bound edge. He sent me the Wanderer advertisement.
Playboy's are a very light weight hat where I think Wanderers were Royal Stetson grade. That edge binding is kind of tricky to do....

Landman

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of the Wanderer too. I don't have a vintage one but I have had Art Fawcett make me several of them. It is my favorite style and width of ribbon. I'd love to have a new one from Stetson if they are similar in quality to their new Premiere Stratoliners.

I'm a big fan of the Wanderer too. I don't have a vintage one but I have had Art Fawcett make me several of them. It is my favorite style and width of ribbon. I'd love to have a new one from Stetson if they are similar in quality to their new Premiere Stratoliners.

Great minds think a like. A mid-ribbon on the Prem Strat body in an olive color would be the berries!

carldelo

One Too Many
After reading these latest comments, I guess I'm a Wanderer fan as well. I had a raw-edge Chatham in sage that developed a wavy brim. I had tonal edge binding and 1" ribbon added, seems like it has the general appearance of the Wanderer now.

BoundChatham009.jpg

I'm pondering something similar to a new Whippet I have - adding a 1" tonal ribbon to it. I don't really like the 1-1/2" brown ribbon on the tan hat - it makes the crown look short.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I got two new Open Roads last year. The first a 20x felt from Paris Hatters in San Antonio. Felt is much lighter and softer than the standard model and just generally feels better. The second is a straw model, not the stiff white Shantung, but one in a true straw from Ecuador that is more of a light tan color, and not nearly as stiff as the common Shantung models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82