Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So whats so horrible about the new Stetsons anyway?

tommyK

One Too Many
So whats so horrible about the new Stetsons anyway?

_DSC0987_zpse64773ff.jpg

Not a darn thing!

tommyK

One Too Many
There are those that can find fault with anything. I'm sure they're not as nice as some of the custom hat makers on the Lounge but, they are really good hats. A nice alternative for us big heads that can't find a lot of vintage options.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what this means for the rest of the Stetson line....

Will all the models be made with this improved felt? If so, I'd wager that Stetson would be making the nicest production hats out there. Of course, the long term durability of the felt is still an open issue, but in terms of pliability and the overall 'hand' of the felt, I'd take my Premiere Strat over an Akubra.

tommyK

One Too Many

Will all the models be made with this improved felt? If so, I'd wager that Stetson would be making the nicest production hats out there. Of course, the long term durability of the felt is still an open issue, but in terms of pliability and the overall 'hand' of the felt, I'd take my Premiere Strat over an Akubra.

I agree, I've beat up my first Premier Stetson pretty good and it's held up well. I have 3 Akubras, like them a lot but the new Stetsons do feel nicer, softer. Almost velour-like.

The deserved rap on Akubras is the finish. Kinda rough, generally. Or such has been the impression I've gotten from the relatively few (in comparison to American brands) I've come across. But I like some of their styles, and I hear they hold up well.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The deserved rap on Akubras is the finish. Kinda rough, generally. Or such has been the impression I've gotten from the relatively few (in comparison to American brands) I've come across. But I like some of their styles, and I hear they hold up well.

Indeed, I have no complaints about the durability of my Akubra, my Fed IV is an excellent rain hat, and it has taken many a drenching with no ill effect. But the yes, the finish is rougher in comparison.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not to confuse the quality between the two modern Strat reproductions...

$174 from Village Hat Shop...

Strat 01.jpg

Stratoliner Open Crown Premiere. $225 from Delmonico. A hat shop near me said that they could order this one for $300! I think $225 for this hat sounds reasonable to me...

Strat 02.jpg

Not to confuse the quality between the two modern Strat reproductions...

IMHO there is definitely a $50 worth of difference in these 2 offerings.
I handled the Mink Premiere Strat a great deal & never had residue on my finger tips.
Can't say that about the Caribou HatCo modern Stetson Stratoliner....
The ribbon treatment & stitching are greatly improved.

triple-d

A-List Customer
Want to thank Jeff for taking the time to talk on the phone. I received both Stetsons yesterday. The Mink Premiere, and the Whippet. Both very nice hats. I'm very pleased with them. Thinking that I need the brown whippet now....lol

Thanks Jeff

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Thanks to Delmonico for being the only place I could find carrying these! I didn't pre-order so now I'm waiting a few weeks for a mink Strat.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I have a Stetson Gus Cowboy hat and it is a great hat I am proud to wear. I'll recommend Stetson every day, or better yet, let my hat do the talking. It is not a custom boutique hat, but for the price it is a proud hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe