Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snow White

Ellie

Familiar Face
Okay ladies... I need some advice.

I like to keep my skin as white as possible, but I always seem to tan on my arms leaving the rest of my skin white. You know... "trucker arm". lol It's awful. I TRY to apply sunscreen everyday, avoid the sun if possible, and even wear sweaters when I do go in the sun.

Are there any brands of sunscreen that you recommend? Or any other products?

Shearer

Practically Family
I feel your pain! I am OCD with the sunscreen application, especially since I've been known to burn in the winter, just by having the sunroof open in the car :eusa_doh:

Try Neutrogena... I've heard that in addition to blocking UVA and UVB rays, there is an extra ingredient that blocks a wider spectrum. Might be what they are referring to as Helioplex here.

There are a couple brands that go all the way up to SPF 70, which I've been using (I know, I know... laugh at me lol )... Neutrogena is one and Hawaiian Tropic is another.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My understanding is that the best blocker is zinc oxide. (That would be the white stuff lifeguards used to put on their noses.) It physically blocks the sun. One of the problems with it is that it is opaque white.

Maybe there are sunscreens out there that use it as an ingredient, so you get the blocking properties without the white???? [huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Even if you wear long sleeves (I assume you won't be in a sweater all summer), you need to wear sunscreen under your shirt if you don't want to tan. Most fabric doesn't block all sunlight.

ChezPez

New in Town
I second Neutrogena- I got back from vacation just as white as I had left! And I don't think I applied it all too often. I use 70, but I heard you really don't need anything beyond 45. I'm freakish about my sunscreen though, especially after discovering a family member's real age whom I closely resemble, so I don't take any chances.

Said family member also had several cases of sun poisoning trying to tan, so I probably don't have that much to worry about considering I've never tanned...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Move to Maine. We get six days of sunshine here a year, and I've never had any trouble staying fish-belly white.

Seriously, though, I'll totally agree with the recommendations for Neutrogena. It's the only sunscreen I've used that doesn't leave me feeling greasy and that doesn't give off that overwhelming sunscreen smell.

And don't forget to wear a big shady hat.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Hehehehe...I feel your pain, Ellie...my left arm is about a shade or two darker than my right, and then the rest of me is Ghost Girl White! I try to remember to sunscreen my arms but I forget alot. Now that we are entering the Season of Hell here (otherwise known as Summer in Phoenix), I have to drive with the windows up and run the air. Windows are tinted so it's not so bad. But I plant to try some of the sunscreen suggestions mentioned here, so maybe I can stay white.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I like Mychelle sunscreen. It's from my favorite natural, non-toxic skincare line everrrr, and it doesn't get all watery when it's warm. It's also water-resistant...I brought another natural brand (Jason) of sunscreen to India with me and it got in my eyes when I sweat, and came off my skin like milk when it rained.

www.mychelleusa.com

pretty faythe

One Too Many
lol I was just thinking about something similiar, not for staying white aall over but for not tanning any more on said driving arm. Right now my left arm is such a splendidly golden color while the rest of me is still winter pale from being inside from work during day light hours and has yet to catch up! (Besides having gotten a glorious shade of tan from the drive to AZ last month for the AZ girls lunch.) I just started using my mositurizer on my left arm which has a spf of 15 which has kept my face from burning on a couple of occasions when I found myself outside unprepared unexpectedly.
I'm going to give zinc oxide a try I guess.

Nashoba

One Too Many
heavens I have too much american indian and italian in me to stay very white. I think about the sun and I tan. Sunscreen doesn't seem to make a difference. I use it but I tan anyway. Too much melanin in my skin I suppose. But I'll agree with the nutrogena. I also have used the waterproof sweatproof everything proof bull frog with much success

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
Ive been wanting a sunscreen that i can wear daily. On my face and on my arms but i dont want it to smell like ive been at the beach all day everyday. Does anyone know of a good brand or a type of lotion that has spf in it. You would think you would be able to find it very easily but every bottle i find smells like typical sunscreen.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
positivelypinup said:
Ive been wanting a sunscreen that i can wear daily. On my face and on my arms but i dont want it to smell like ive been at the beach all day everyday. Does anyone know of a good brand or a type of lotion that has spf in it. You would think you would be able to find it very easily but every bottle i find smells like typical sunscreen.

This one I can offer a little more help with. Try "Kiss My Face". I found mine at Whole Foods (I think), but try your natural or health food store. It isn't an extraordinarily high spf, though mine was 30. I do get a little color with it (since I don't reapply). As I understand it they use oats to make it. I don't find that it has a chemical smell at all.

Good luck!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
For your face, I recommend Oil of Olay's moisturizer. It has spf 15, I think, so it isn't the strongest, but if you aren't laying in the sun, it does the job. It protects me walking to and from my car, and that is about all I need it to do :)

I agree with Goldwyn Girl, the Banana Boat spray on spf 30 doesn't smell. It smells a bit like rubbing alcohol, but that is it. It dries quickly, and isn't sticky.

A bit of info about SPF from Skin Cancer Foundation

Another way to look at it is in terms of percentages: SPF 15 blocks approximately 93 percent of all incoming UVB rays. SPF 30 blocks 97 percent; and SPF 50 blocks 99 percent. They may seem like negligible differences, but if you are light-sensitive, or have a history of skin cancer, those extra percentages will make a difference. And as you can see, no sunscreen can block all UV rays.

Sometimes the high spf sunscreens are very expensive, so it may also be a factor of cost when deciding what to use.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My nose burns when I go out to the mailbox, literally. I use Hawaiian Tropic The Ultimate Protection Ozone Sport Sunblock 60+ SPF. Non-migrating, sweatproof, waterproof. The odor is pleasant. It's in a silver-gray bottle with an orange cap. I got some last year on sale from KMart and it came with a travel bottle and a cute little radio for about $5.00. I use it year around.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I used to use a body lotion with SPF that smelled great, it was Ralph Lauren Polo Sport lotion. But it was discontinued. :(

Lubiderm makes a body lotion that is spf 15, which is good enough for under clothes, if not for a main sunscreen. It smells like regular Lubiderm.

You can get a RIT product that adds spf to your clothing if covering up works for you.

I used to use Christian Dior facial sunblock, it has a great texture, and is spf 45. I have their whitening base now, almost the same, but whitens slightly.

I have an idea for a body lotion type product, with high spf and a nice scent. I was going to make/amend one at home since no one makes one right now. I add whitening botanicals to my lotion now (I don't tan, but freckle! :rage: ), but I wanted to up the sunscreen with micronized zinc oxide.

So apparently, my idea for a scented body lotion with high spf does have a market? I seriously thought I was the only one.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
positivelypinup said:

Alba SPF 15 sunscreen smells amazing...kind of like pineapple. Their SPF 30 supposedly smells like "green tea," but I consider it scentless...good stuff, though, and it doesn't smell like typical sunscreen at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe