Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve shortening on a G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My G-1 (USWings Signature Series) is a very nice jacket ($540) except for one issue...the sleeves are about 1 1/2" too long. Can these be shortened? Is this difficult? Expensive? Will the jacket turn out OK?

Thought about simply trying to sell and get a smaller size.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
My G-1 (USWings Signature Series) is a very nice jacket ($540) except for one issue...the sleeves are about 1 1/2" too long. Can these be shortened? Is this difficult? Expensive? Will the jacket turn out OK?

Thought about simply trying to sell and get a smaller size.

I've had good luck with Minsky Tailors/Alterations on Arapaho in Addison. They modify leather jackets (mostly moto) and actually offer an A-2 knit repair and replacement service so there's a fair chance they might work for you.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've had good luck with Minsky Tailors/Alterations on Arapaho in Addison. They modify leather jackets (mostly moto) and actually offer an A-2 knit repair and replacement service so there's a fair chance they might work for you.

ykurtz, you just beat me to the punch as I have used Minsky's for years, although he is in Richardson rather than Addison. TXFlyGuy, I am curious: what is your usual suit size, and what size is your G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
ykurtz, you just beat me to the punch as I have used Minsky's for years, although he is in Richardson rather than Addison. TXFlyGuy, I am curious: what is your usual suit size, and what size is your G-1?

I can wear a 38, 40, or 42R. All depends on the cut. My G-1 is a 44R, this is what they told me to order because of the small cut. It is pretty much OK, except a bit long, sleeves and torso. Could have ordered a 44S...probably would have been perfect.

My 38R A-2 from Leather Coats is a perfect fit. My G&B A-2, 42R, is a near perfect fit. My Alpha G-1 size M, is also a perfect fit.
Yes, Minsky's is the first thought that came to my mind.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just measured the sleeve length, from the shoulder seam to end of the knit cuff:

USWings = 28"
G&B A-2 = 25.5"
Alpha G-1 = 26"
Leather Coats Etc. A-2 = 26"

You can see that the USWings G-1 is too long.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I know that Shaul at US Authentic does all types of alterations on jackets and his company makes G-1's, so he could easily do it. I've had several jackets relined by Shaul and found him professional and affordable with a very quick turnaround.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I know that Shaul at US Authentic does all types of alterations on jackets and his company makes G-1's, so he could easily do it. I've had several jackets relined by Shaul and found him professional and affordable with a very quick turnaround.

Would you (or anyone) have an idea as to cost for a sleeve shortening?

OK...just saw that Great Leather charges $45 for this.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
The only thing I wonder about sleeve shortening is whether the sleeves are tapered and to what degree. The Eastman G-1 for instance has fairly tapered sleeves and I would think that shortening it would require not only moving the hem higher, but renewing the whole sleeve so that you didn't have a big hand hole at the end. I'd be interested to see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The only thing I wonder about sleeve shortening is whether the sleeves are tapered and to what degree. The Eastman G-1 for instance has fairly tapered sleeves and I would think that shortening it would require not only moving the hem higher, but renewing the whole sleeve so that you didn't have a big hand hole at the end. I'd be interested to see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And that is exactly what I was concerned about...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Cooper G-1 appears not to be tapered at all for the bottom few inches. However, if significant tapering is present, that issue would have to be addressed with the alteration.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to have my ELC M422A shortened due to severe sleeve tunneling & found the result to be less than pleasing (now too wide & not the desired profile).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The G-1 can now be found under the "Classifieds" section here, complete with photos. I have it listed locally (DFW) also.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
probly the right choice to Just sell.

Its not worth the bother IMO.

I always find G-1 Sleeves too short on me personally!

I agree! The other thing with the sleeves on G-1 jackets is that they are extra roomy in the bicep area, then taper all the way down to the cuff. The taper on the Signature G-1 is significant. Are all G-1's like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82