Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slap!

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Although I agree with much of what is said here he appears to be basing his opinion on the differing sleeve lengths on this one photograph. Any number of factors could make a sleeve appear longer or shorter than it is at one particular moment in time.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
The one point may be fair comment, perhaps the shirt sleeve was simply caught up the jacket sleeve, but you've missed his criticims of the button-down shirt collar, ill fitting waistcoat, ill fitting jacket, and general appearance of a lack of proper tailoring. The article contains many criticisms, none of which depend upon the sleeve length as a causal or contributing factor.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
^^^^
but you've missed his criticims of the button-down shirt collar, ill fitting waistcoat, ill fitting jacket, and general appearance of a lack of proper tailoring.

Not really. I agreed with those points, as I said in my post. I was just criticising the sleeve length point.

A

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I find the tone overly critical considering anyone choosing to wear a suit to an event nowadays is a dying option.

Surely though, if you're going to wear a suit, one should ensure it fits? I believe the criticism is aimed primarily at the tailors, rather than young Mr. Radcliffe who rightfully is congratulated in the article in his choice of suit.

By way of example, having the right shoes to match counts for little if you walk about with the laces undone or go without socks!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Surely though, if you're going to wear a suit, one should ensure it fits? I believe the criticism is aimed primarily at the tailors, rather than young Mr. Radcliffe who rightfully is congratulated in the article in his choice of suit.

By way of example, having the right shoes to match counts for little if you walk about with the laces undone or go without socks!

But certainly the flip side in today's society is, "Thank god the kid's got shoes on!"

I think that's the point Feraud was making. I agree with you MC, but when you can't go to a funeral without seeing at least one vulture in jeans and crocs, it's hard to imagine a world where folks wear suits at all.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well, it's not about Radcliffe's style choices, it's about the tailor. The suit is quite an awkward fit. There are a number of stars out there that I'm sure pay exorbitant amounts of money for clothes... I'm not concerned with whether or not they know what quality or fit is if they are getting it custom, that's why he has a tailor. The tailor should get it right and not embarrass his clients.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I thought that modern suit styling was all about awkward fit. Its deliberate.
That's my understanding as well. For instance, the gap between vest and waistband is a design feature not a tailoring error. And this is an OTR suit which pretty much came off as the designer had planned.

24.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Tomasso and Talbot might be right, but I must say: I think these suits make their wearers look like 14 year old boys wearing suits which sat in heaps at the backs of their closets since their moms bought them two years ago.

Talbot

One Too Many
Don't feel bad if you look awkward after spending all that money. You're supposed to.

I'm not defending it, but I can think of worse alternatives.

Not sure what the heavier set style maven is meant to do though.

Last edited:

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I think the worst thing here is that Radcliffe looks like he feels awkward wearing it, which shouldn't happen with a tailored suit - it looks like a brand new suit and therein lies the problem. Instead of looking like he's always been wearing it, he looks like he's just picked it up and isn't sure what to do with it.

I'm not unimpressed by the suit, however, or the shirt for that matter. The sleeve thing has happened to me, even on my best fitting suits, it just seems to be a danger that comes with putting jackets and shirts on. None of us here have Radcliffe's measurements, or know his exact preferences for sleeve lengths. Or, for that matter, what may be in his pockets. I've had the left hand sides of my jackets sag when the breast pocket has been overloaded with wallet, mobile phone and passport which has increased the sleeve length.

Perhaps I've just got an untutored and forgiving eye, but the suit doesn't seem that badly put together, considering all the circumstances that can affect fit and so on in the moment a photograph is taken outside of a studio where everything has been arranged neatly.

The trousers might want a decent press though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael