Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me the hatters

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
that do this today. Hatters that have the block that make the hats actually bow out being narrower at the base and wider at the top when bashed with a center dent.

this is a high crown 30's hat that looks vertical on the sides from the front and bows out fore and aft when looked at from the sides.

Newbatch333-vi.jpg
Newbatch359-vi.jpg

And another
GreyBorsy19402-vi.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt, I have several custom hats with the reverse tapers. I don't think it is too difficult to achieve for a decent hatter.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kabuto said:
I don't think these are a result of reverse taper puzzle blocking. Rather, they look to me like simple non-tapered stovepipe crowns that are pushed out at the front by the pinch.

Actually, kabuto, you make an interesting point. In my own creasing efforts, I have noticed that "reverse taper" is often the result of the top of the crown being pressed down during the creasing process itself.

Cheers,
JtL

rbbrock

Familiar Face
My Akubra Fed IV that I just creased with a center dent yesterday did this as well, much more on the front than on the back, which is still pretty much vertical. Open crowned, it is just a straight sided block with a fast transition at the top, so to get this effect it's not the block itself that has a reverse taper, but the interation between the crease and the block shape.

Stoney said:
I've achieved the same reverse taper using a straight sided block with a deep center crease. As you deepen crease the taper becomes more prominent.

Yeah, I've gotten the same result, or very nearly so. Which is why I asked how the hat looks with an open crown. I'm guessing it would be tall (which allows for a deep center dent) and that the reverse taper would turn to vertical.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
raising hand and waving wildly I DO, I DO Uncle Matt!!!

upon request. You can even exaggerate it by flanging a 7 1/2 hat in a 7 3/8 flange..pulls that puppy right in at the bandline. :D

do I get a prize now? or did you just want to slap current hatters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe