Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoes for shorts

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Anyone have any good ideas of what shoes to wear with shorts. I only wear shorts now and then , they are wool or linen and I plan to wear crew length light colored socks with them.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Personally, I'd try a low quarter shoe. High tops look awkward, in my opinion. Tall socks are a bad idea, as well. White socks or even tan socks to blend with your legs are your safest bet. Match the shoes to the clothes, but stay away from dark colors...you're wearing shorts, anyway, the weather will be hot.

Chucks are the great old standby, Keds are pretty good, Sperrys are good for a less casual look...I can't imagine dress shoes with shorts, but I'm sure it's been done. Moccasins or loafers are a decent idea.

Personally, I quit wearing shorts unless it's scorching hot. I have spindly legs, anyway. I don't think I've had a decent tan in 10 years.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
no tennis shoes

Chucks are not going to work. The shorts are way to nice to wear with a pair of chucks, that's the heart of the problem. I thought about some brown wing tips I have but that's a little to dressed up. So I'm stuck.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
I just thought of something that might help. Anybody got pictures of old movie stars on shorts. I'm trying to come up with a movie where somebody wears shorts and all that comes to mind is "Pat and Mike", Hepburn's great but I don't want to dress like her.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I second Mr. Berkov's suggestion- ditch the socks and go with topsiders. Much more streamlined look.

android

One of the Regulars
You have a few choices; topsiders, fisherman sandles or those woven leather shoes. If the shorts are khaki or trad, you could go with penny loafers. No socks on any of the above of course.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Classic canvas deck shoes. They are comfortable and versatile. You'll see them in many of the classic Hollywood publicity photos from the 30's & 40's and they are still made today.

Cheers!

Dan

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Good ol' bucks, can't go wrong.

ae19tanp.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I've seen people wear tassel loafers or mocassins worn without socks, but these people have always been older than 30. On days I wear shorts, I'd probably wear chucks (natural or red) or keds.

android

One of the Regulars
Ghos7a55assin said:
I've seen people wear tassel loafers or mocassins worn without socks, but these people have always been older than 30. On days I wear shorts, I'd probably wear chucks (natural or red) or keds.

If they are "nice" shorts, then I wouldn't wear athletic shoes with them. But I think athletic shoes should be for sports and not everyday wear.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I think that if you have an office type job, you should not wear shorts. Who whants to see someones hairy legs. You're inside anyway. Outside I guess that may be a different matter. I reckon if you're aom kind of feild worker where it gets hot, like the Outback of Australia, South Africa or Texas, a stout pair of workboots with shorts could be in order. Black Oxford shoes go pretty good with Civil Authority Shorts Trouser Uniforms (like the Police in Bermuda, for example).

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/ichuddersfield/aug2003/3/6/0007125E-C2B7-1F2B-B5BE80C328EC0000.jpg

some how I couldn't post the pic...

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Since it has come up. I am not wearing shorts to work!!! There are a few times when wearing shorts is not such a bad idea, mostly outdoor parties during the summer.

I just can't bring myself to wear topsiders. I don't know why.

I know, I know, I shouldn't complain about free advice.

Thanks anyway ya'll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S