Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redskin vs. Seal Hide - Which one ages better?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im stuck between choosing a seal color hide or redskin from Aero. The seal color hide seems like it would hide marks and scrapes better, but the redskin seems like it would develop more of a patina over time.

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

blethook

One of the Regulars
When you wrote redskin, did you mean russet brown?

Aero's smooth russet HH doesn't have much red in it - it's almost like mid-brown, but the jerky one does.

The goatskin russet has a tint of orange in it so it's a bit unusual...but very nice (I've got one A-2 coming in russet goatskin).

I would suggest you write to them and ask for hide samples from their latest/current stocks, if you haven't done that already...The hide colours do change as they change stocks...For example, their current seal goatskin stock is much darker than their previous stock.

My jerky seal HH scrapes easily as well and because of the contrast between the dark seal colour and the light colour of the base it actually makes wear marks even more obvious...

Hope that helps

JLStorm

Practically Family
blethook said:
When you wrote redskin, did you mean russet brown?

Aero's smooth russet HH doesn't have much red in it - it's almost like mid-brown, but the jerky one does.

The goatskin russet has a tint of orange in it so it's a bit unusual...but very nice (I've got one A-2 coming in russet goatskin).

I would suggest you write to them and ask for hide samples from their latest/current stocks, if you haven't done that already...The hide colours do change as they change stocks...For example, their current seal goatskin stock is much darker than their previous stock.

My jerky seal HH scrapes easily as well and because of the contrast between the dark seal colour and the light colour of the base it actually makes wear marks even more obvious...

Hope that helps

No I meant the redskin sheepskin, not HH. I have samples, but it doesnt help me with trying to figure out how they each age. It sounds like from what you stated that the seal may actually show scratches easier than the redskin though...I wouldnt have figured that.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi I did have ELC B-1 sheepskin jacket at one time. I think the sheepskin did flake quite easily...

Again, as I remember it, because the colour was seal brown the wear marks were more obvious (especially those on the elbow areas)...but you can always hide them using polishing compound, etc. if it would bother you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe