Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare MLB film found in cellar

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
bing.jpg

Now, 33 years after his death, the iconic singer and actor is still helping define the key moments of the 20th century.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/bi...-cellar-produces-vintage-1960-?urn=mlb-272117

Pretty cool huh? What a great vintage from Bing's wine cellar.

Cheers!

Dan

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man. I don't need a kinescope of that game, in my mind it's like it just happened two days ago. The shock of that monent, Maz's home run, is still reverberating around the bottom of my skull like those low level radio waves left over from the Big Bang.
I was a 13 year old DIE HARD Yankee fan (I'm still a 13 year old DIE HARD Yankee fan), and after the first six crazy games of that series, that ending nearly killed me. (Deep sigh.)
I will positively watch it when it comes on.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Sublime.
In addition to being a valuable bit of rescued broadcasting history, it's also an object lesson in how baseball uniforms are properly worn.
:eek:fftopic:
Lizzie, I don't know about the sublime part ( ;) ) but you're right on the money about the uniforms. As much as I admire CC Sabathia, for example, he looks like he's out there in his PAJAMAS when he pitches.
Score a big plus for ARod, Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson. They look like ballplayers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
:eek:fftopic:
Lizzie, I don't know about the sublime part ( ;) ) but you're right on the money about the uniforms. As much as I admire CC Sabathia, for example, he looks like he's out there in his PAJAMAS when he pitches.
Score a big plus for ARod, Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson. They look like ballplayers.

Roberto Clemente in one of those sleeveless Pirate uniforms is about the most sublime thing I have ever seen. Simply gorgeous.

roberto-clemente-hof.jpg

I saw that actual uniform -- the one he wore in the 1960 World Series -- in an exhibit at the Smithsonian last year. It's astonishing how *small* he was -- a ballplayer in his day was a real athlete, not some kind of musclebound thick-necked thug.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I had the great good luck of going to a Pirates game in May of 1962. We sat in what would be called luxury boxes today, directly adjacent to the NBC broadcast booth. I was one piece of plate glass away from Joe Garagiola. I believe it was Al McBean for the Buccos and Johnny Podres for the Dodgers. Elroy Face relieved in the 7th. The score was 9 to 5, but I don't remember who won! But being among all those wonderful steel girders in that great old park was the most memporable part of the experience.
And of course Clemente, Groat, Stuart, Virdon, Smokey Burgess, etc., etc, were all there.
I still have my ticket stub!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
LizzieMaine said:
It's astonishing how *small* he was -- a ballplayer in his day was a real athlete, not some kind of musclebound thick-necked thug.
I had a conversation about this very subject with Ernie Banks and Billy Williams a few years ago and they laughed at the look on my face when they told me how big Stan The Man Musial was........

6' 0" 175 lb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust