Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1930s neckties

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Show us the really old ones in your collection.

To get the ball rolling:

Selvedge edge on front blade, as opposed to the usual stitched edge on 1930s ties.

Same selvedge edge as first tie.

Same selvedge edge

Another selvedge edge. Slip Easy neckband.

Image73.jpg~original

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Spiderweb. Puresilk Spungold. 1908

India Print. Puresilk. 1915

Portuguese Crepe. Puresilk. 1915

Roman Stripes. Puresilk. 1916

Persians. Puresilk. 1916

Easter Lillies. Puresilk. 1917

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i must admit, i find ties from the teens all the way through to the early 30s very difficult to date accurately, because styles changed so little.
i bought a batch of deadstock French ties last year, some of which have a selvedge lower edge, e.g:

L1040597.jpg

L1040604.jpg

L1040608.jpg

...they could be anywhere in the teens - early 30s time span. how do you tell ?

i've also bought many ties from the US as '1920s' when they could be earlier or later. i don't think i've posted any photos of them.

Last edited:
It is, of course, very difficult to date early ties accurately. Many 20s ties could very easily be from the 30s, or even throwbacks from the teens. I've always thought that the neck band of silk/whatever you see in a few of Dinerman's ties above was a good hint at an older tie.

One thing to look for is resilient construction. Not the little label, check the construction of the tie. By the late 20s, EVERYONE was making their ties on resilient lines. It really was a great lea forward in tie design (there's a reason we still use resilient construction today! Only the later 4-fold ties break the rule in mass produced ties. That neck strip is a good indicator that the tie is not "resilient".

This Moire one, for example, is not built on the resilient model.

croffredmoirestripetie.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this is the type of U.S. tie i'm talking about:

_1020172_zps90a49d6d.jpg

_1020171_zpse2d69512.jpg

...all bought as '20s', but are they early 20s or late 20s-30s ?
one is labelled 'resilient construction'. none of them have neck bands.

Baron, i'm not sure what this 'resilient construction' method is you're referring to.

Last edited:
You mean you haven't read my article in The Chap? How dare you!;)

It's a patented method of cutting the panels for the tie and constructing the interlinings to allow the tie to stretch when being tied and prevent the very common ripping of the day. That "resilient construction" label indicates that the tie was made using the method, and royalties paid to the "inventor". After the late 20s, pretty much every tie was built using the method as it proved so successful at preventing ripping/seam breakage. The same methods are used to this day.

You'll see most 30s ties made of 2 or sometimes 3 panels, cut on the bias. About 2/3 of the way from the fat end, on the rear, you'll see a diagonal seam where the panels are attached. This is the fundamental basis of the patent (astonishingly). It was essentially a codification of many of the features of standard, though by no means universal, tie construction.

I would say that all those ones you've shown above are from the 30s, but I have no evidence for it. Certainly you don't see the resilient construction label before the late 20s.

A tip for Londoners, that one of the military vendors in the little arcade at Angel has a bunch of early ties, most appear to be French, with neck bands, selvedge like those above, very short. Sadly he wants £15 each, which I'm unprepared to pay. I wrangled him down to £10 for a 1940s Charvet print tie. He also has a relatively nice 30s/40s herringbone overcoat in.

This pretied Dutch one I think is an early tie:

teensclaudyseahorsestie1.jpg

teensclaudyseahorsestie2.jpg

And this National Shirt Shops tie has a silk neck band.

natlshirtshops20sblackwhitetie.jpg

No, it doesn't put the date in doubt. I meant to suggest that the absence of such construction should be taken as a solid sign that a tie is early (after the middle to late 20s, EVERYONE was using resilient construction, even if they didn't label it as such).

But i don't mean to say that the presence of this should be seen as a sign that a tie is not early.

Agreed. I love the Idea of using labels - see the Croff one I posted above - for dating … but obviously labels were printed/woven in large runs and used 'til they were used up, especially store labels.

I love that store name, btw. The idea of someone's surname being "Stripling" is fantastic!

Yeah, sure, but you know how designs go through trends and are reworked and repeated decade after decade. Most tie designs and weaves, from any era, are so generic and conservative as to be indistinguishable. There will, of course, be a very few that could only have come from a certain period.

I would say, though, that a non-resilient construction is a pretty reliable guide to a 1920s or earlier tie: If it's not resilient, it's almost without a doubt from before the late 20s.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Clip ons for stiff collars. They attach to the collar stud. The one which isn't a clip on is pre-tied, with a piece of metal inside the short end so that it can be threaded through the knot. All the ties have the back blade sewn at an angle from the front, so that it is visible when worn.

This style was popular before WWI. Here is an ad for one from 1908. It's worthy of note that the one in the ad is pre-tied with the front blade shorter than the back. Another one of those sartorial rules which didn't come about until later.

Last edited:

Qirrel

Practically Family
You mean you haven't read my article in The Chap? How dare you!;)
You'll see most 30s ties made of 2 or sometimes 3 panels, cut on the bias. About 2/3 of the way from the fat end, on the rear, you'll see a diagonal seam where the panels are attached. This is the fundamental basis of the patent (astonishingly). It was essentially a codification of many of the features of standard, though by no means universal, tie construction.

What does the seam have to do with the "resiliency" of the construction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe