Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pewter Dobbs fedora won today...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I got this one today. Its a Dobbs Leisure Flex in a pewter. At least the color looks good on my monitor. Hopefully it looks this good in person. I'm rather excited about seeing it. It should prove to be a rather fun hat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pewter-DOBBS-Fedora-LEISURE-FLEX-Size-7-1-4_W0QQitemZ250104202365QQihZ015QQcategoryZ52369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What knowledge of this type of hat does one possess? I'd like to more about the era of this particular lid please.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Why thank you gentlemen! It's alway hard to gage what a hat is going to be like by just one photo, but I think this one might have some merit. It definitely will need to be deoderized if they say the previous owner had smoked.
Any remedies other than steaming to pull out odors from a hat that you gentlemen know of?

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
Dan, I have gotten to the point that any hat I win the first thing is, it goes into a naphta bath. With that you get rid of odors, dirt and most any stains that may be in the hat. To me its kind of like starting out 'fresh'.

duggap

Banned
I have read here on a previous thread that putting your hat in a plastic bag with a sheet of fabric softener will remove less troublesome odors. Worth a try.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
USED!!!

duggap said:
I have read here on a previous thread that putting your hat in a plastic bag with a sheet of fabric softener will remove less troublesome odors. Worth a try.

A USED dryer sheet, otherwise the "fabric softener" that the sheet is imbued with will possibly stain yer lid!!!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love it DJ! I was temped to bid on it. It has a great overwelt. I think you got your self a winner:eusa_clap

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
I love it DJ! I was temped to bid on it. It has a great overwelt. I think you got your self a winner:eusa_clap

Well I am fortunate that you didn't, other wise you would have it.;) :D
Some of your Blarney Luck has finally rubbed off on me. Thanks!;)

Cheers!

Dan

duggap

Banned
Hey Rick, thanks for bringing that up about the fabric softener. Now that you mention it I do believe I remember reading that. I would hate for someone to ruin a nice vintage hat on my account:eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Colour of that beautiful hat

DanielJones said:
I got this one today. Its a Dobbs Leisure Flex in a pewter. At least the color looks good on my monitor. Hopefully it looks this good in person. I'm rather excited about seeing it. It should prove to be a rather fun hat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pewter-DOBBS-Fedora-LEISURE-FLEX-Size-7-1-4_W0QQitemZ250104202365QQihZ015QQcategoryZ52369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What knowledge of this type of hat does one possess? I'd like to more about the era of this particular lid please.

Cheers!

Dan

On my screen that looks like what we Aussies call taupe (pronounced torp) and I have never seen that colour outside safari or military type colours.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all, very much! Well, it came in yesterday. Not a bad looking hat. It does smell like an old ashtray though. The pewter color comes from years in a smokers home.:( If one folds down the ribbon the original color shows up as a dove or flint grey against the yellowish/grey. The cleaning process is going to start out with airing it out for a couple of days, then I'll hit it with some Bickmores hat cleaner & a sponge. It may take several goes at this. If the spunk doesn't come out and remains yellowish/grey then I'll do a naptha dunk. That should do the trick. This should prove to be some interesting experiment.

So, in doing a naptha dunk, do you dunk the whole thing with leather sweatband, liner & all into this cleaner? Then after an over night stewing take it out & let it air dry for a day? Will I need to treat the leather with Lexol or the like?[huh]

Other than the spunky odor, it is a fairly nice looking hat and it fits well. I'll post some before inbetween & after photos when I can.

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
DanielJones said:
So, in doing a naptha dunk, do you dunk the whole thing with leather sweatband, liner & all into this cleaner? Then after an over night stewing take it out & let it air dry for a day? Will I need to treat the leather with Lexol or the like?[huh]

Cheers!

Dan

DUNK IT DAN! The whole thing, treat the sweat after cleaning, I think you will be surprised after you do it.
As for drying just hang it up for a few hours and it should be ready!!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few pics thus far folks. On my monitor it looks a tad green but it's not.

D002.jpg

D007.jpg

D010.jpg

D011.jpg

D012.jpg

So far I've just used a can of Scout dark hat cleaner. Why the dark cleaner you may ask, well because I found that the light hat cleaner leaves a funky residue (almost a powder) and just stains a light hat. So far the yellowish tinge has come out but there is still a slight cigarette odor to it. That and while cleaning it I notice a slight tacky residue on my hands as well. Washed thoroughly of course. I could be the cleaner, but why take chances. The original color is more of a flint grey and the texture is rather soft. The brim has an over-welt.

I figure that if the cig smell doesn't come out with a day outside in the breeze then I'll give it a good naptha dunking and see what comes of it. It'll probably take more of the tar out of the felt and lighten up it more. Who knows?

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust