Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pewter Dobbs fedora won today...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Huzzah!

Well I did the dip this weekend! What a difference in the odor of the hat. It actually smells like anew hat in a hat shop, not the smoke or the naptha.:D I hit the leather sweatband with a liberal dose of Scouts leather balm that I have and will continue with some Lexol today. The felt is even a bit more plush.
I did this for about six hours and it did a fine job. There was a layer of fine silt at the bottom of the bucket when done, and it softened the hardend stuff at the back of the sweatband enough to be able to peel it off. There was a portion of the sweatband at the joint that was accordioned and it had a couple of chunks of some crystalized gunk stuck there. It was too thick to be a price tage with adhesive, so I can only surmise that it was the reminants of some padding at the back of the hat.
In any case the color is a nice grey/green slate color and rather soft and fun to wear.:)

Cheers!

Dan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where did you get your naptha? How much does it run?

If one was going to stretch a hat a bit, would it be a good time to do it when the hat was drying from a naptha dunk?

The hat looks great. Give us a post-naptha shot.

RBH

Bartender
DanielJones said:
Well I did the dip this weekend! What a difference in the odor of the hat. It actually smells like anew hat ...
Cheers!

Dan
I knew you would be surprised!
For a general cleaning, you cant beat a dip in naphta. Now for the hat that really needs some work, that is for the hatters to do.
Truth be told, I bet all the hatters here are glad we are taking some of the cleaning on ourselves.
GOOD JOB DAN!!!!:eusa_clap

AlanC said:
Where did you get your naptha? How much does it run?

If one was going to stretch a hat a bit, would it be a good time to do it when the hat was drying from a naptha dunk?

Alan, I buy the 'camp' fuel at Wal-Mart. It is the kind of fuel you put in the Coleman cook stoves. It is a little cheaper than the naphta. I read where Steve Delk said to use this type of fuel- white gas- naphta [it is all the same] the cost is around $5 gallon here.
Yes stretch the hat while it is drying, the hat will do great while wet.
I hope if you try this you will also let us know about it!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Actually the post naptha isn't that much different other than the odor. As far as the naptha is concerned, it's just Coleman camp fuel, basic whit gas (well sort of bluish in hue like swimming pool water). It can be had at any hardware store or camping store. I got mine at OSH. The naptha, bucket & lid, funnel & paint filter came out to $16 & change.

Cheers!

Dan

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AlanC said:
I'm working up the courage.

I suppose one avoids open flames while wearing a hat after this?

Naw, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
This stuff is so volatile that in the open air, in humidity less than 75% (admittedly difficult to find in TN. at times) this stuff'll evaporate PDQ!

RBH

Bartender
Rick Blaine said:
Naw, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
This stuff is so volatile that in the open air, in humidity less than 75% (admittedly difficult to find in TN. at times) this stuff'll evaporate PDQ!

TN --- Arkansas --- the weather aint much different!!!!
BUT DONT SMOKE!!! --- CHEW!!! lol lol lol
have to say I gave that up also!!! But after a good dunk, a nice 'belly washer' is nice!!!!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
very cool looking hat there DJ! Hopefully it will be just as exciting in person. Let us know how it is when you get it.

Got it, cleaned it, it's a keeper!:D It's rater nice in person.;) Thank you all for the help and kind comments.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust