Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Bros straw

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Do they use the same stifferner as in a felt hat? If so, maybe denatured alcohol is the ticket to reshapng one. J.T., how difficult was it to reshape that trooper? I've been thinking a lot about them as a good summer work hat option, but that grommet in the front has always put me off somewhat. That and I'm not sure how well it will re-bash.

Edward

Bartender
I've seen that Peter Bros hat around.... I could be tempted one day, as it would be nice to have a different colour alternative to the Panama that is light enough for the hottest of days in the Summer....

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
J.T., how difficult was it to reshape that trooper? I've been thinking a lot about them as a good summer work hat option, but that grommet in the front has always put me off somewhat. That and I'm not sure how well it will re-bash.

After about 30 minutes in cold water, it was almost as easy to shape, as a felt hat. The only tough spot I encountered was the front pinch and side dents. I got the tight pinch I was after, but I wanted the side dents a little deeper. The hat is still stiffer than I would like. (Water softens the stiffener, but does not remove all of it.)

This wasn't the first straw I had reshaped. I started with a crushed piece of garbage that looked like it should be thrown away. It turned out so well, I still wear it, today.

One word of caution, though. Watch out for hats that have wire around the outer edge of the brim. This is suppposed to make it easier to shape the brim. To me, it just makes it harder!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
RBH and JT, your enthusiasm for your milans has charged me up. I'm speaking with Joe right now about a custom model, a milan version of this:

Borsalino_Taranto.jpg

. . . with a 2 3/8 to 2 1/2" brim, in either their light "Indy" brown or their dark brown. I don't think I've ever seen an Open Road-ish milan, have you?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I'd seen that one. Verrry sharp!

I called PB, and of course they have their Stock Show thing going on, just as Denver used to every January. Once that's over, next week, I'll call again and see how long such a project would take.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
RBH and JT, your enthusiasm for your milans has charged me up. I'm speaking with Joe right now about a custom model, a milan version of this:

. . . with a 2 3/8 to 2 1/2" brim, in either their light "Indy" brown or their dark brown. I don't think I've ever seen an Open Road-ish milan, have you?

Bob at Black Sheep made me an OR styled Milan in much the same vein as RBH's.

2011-09-02142339.jpg

2011-09-02142349.jpg

2011-09-02142628.jpg

That last one captures the color the best...it's Bob's hand dyed "Black Walnut" color. Not a Cattleman's crease obviously, but inspired by the OR vibe. It's got a 2.5" brim.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
jlee, I like yours, esp. the head-on shot. If I do the dark brown color from Peters, maybe I'll go with a lighter color of thin ribbon. Apparently these can be shaped a bit at home? If I want to change the front brim swoop, a little steam should do it, as with felt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust