Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perfectly Perfect Pants

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I want trousers like THIS. This is exactly, precisely what I am looking for or want to have made, in ten fabrics and 20 colors. Some of our members have promised them, but so far it's long on promise and short on pants.

Behold! The Perfect Pair of Pants!
From September 1939 Esquire.

perfectpants.JPG

Zach R.

Practically Family
Too true, many plans to manufacture pants like this from members have fallen through the cracks too many times.

We all need to just pool all of our resources into one project and see what we can come up with that will suit(no pun intended) us all.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
So sharp I might cut m'self

What we need is someone who has a deep, long-standing knowledge of the good stuff, with a little time available, the goods to copy, and access to the tailoring (and low-cost labor) found in former British colonies. Someone with taste, style and resourceful smarts. The kind of guy who could, for instance, find himself in London, his luggage in Spain, and scare up a sweet tweed vintage clobber in a few hours before being due at a swanky dinner.
That kinda guy could put it together.
Now where the hell are we gonna find a man like that?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I don't know how recently you joined TFL, but Shanghai Jack was working on getting a big order of drop-looped Hollywood waist pants made. Last I heard he was sourcing a good dense fabric....and has fallen off the 3rd rock since.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Matt Deckard said:
I believe Wild Root has a pair on which he is supposed to post and comment from one of our members who manufactures.

I sincerely hope I don't seem to be dissing ShanghaiJack. It was a massive undertaking to get some trousers made up. But I think from some private conversations that members are very curious about progress and he's not been able to join us in awhile.

If any members have some copied trousers to share, no matter the source, you'd find a grateful audience.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
I have a pattern....

I have a pattern for 40's high waisted trousers in a size 34 that I got off ebay. It was hard to win too, always found that these patterns were very popular.

I am just starting to learn how to sew so that one day I can make myself some. In the meantime I need to source some appropriate weight material. I would be happy to share the pattern, just don't know how to copy it effectively. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have recently moved house, so would need to find the box they are stored in but will take a photo of the cover once I find the pattern.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pattern copies and pictures are extremely welcome.

Some of our members, I think, know precisely where to get heavyweight woolens. I got a lecture on it myself in PM a year or so ago . :)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You could take your patterns to a blueprint shop and have them scanned, since most reprographic/blueprint shops have scanners that can handle large size engineering type drawings.

Below is a future project heading for the scanner and CAD drawing. (to fit my size)

HollywoodJacketPat1copy.jpg

HollywoodJacketPat2copy.jpg

Sachet

Familiar Face
3PieceSuitGuy said:
I have a pattern for 40's high waisted trousers in a size 34 that I got off ebay.

I am just starting to learn how to sew so that one day I can make myself some. In the meantime I need to source some appropriate weight material. I would be happy to share the pattern, just don't know how to copy it effectively. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kinko's also offers printing of large documents such as architectural drawings and blueprints. They should be able to handle copying vintage patterns with ease.

http://www.fedex.com/us/officeprint/storesvcs/signsbanners.html

Click on their fact sheet.

Office Depot, Office Max, Staples and other such stores may offer similar services. :)

Sachet

Familiar Face
Oops..

3PieceSuitGuy said:
I would have to see what services are available in Australia to do this.

Regards

Peter

Pardon me, Peter, for my oversight.

I emailed a friend in Western Australia and she said to try:

http://www.officeworksretail.com.au/

Since they are an office supplies super store chain...at least they might know where it can be done if they can't help you.

Best of luck. :)

....Sachet

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Just shell out the $80-150 it costs for tailor-made reproductions. This is how much trousers costs at Nordstroms anyway.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm a poor college-bound student that can barely afford pants as it is. :p

Its one thing to say "just shell it out," its another thing entirely to be capable of doing so. $150 dollars can feed me for two weeks. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld