Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penney's Marathon newly renovated by Optimo

Razzman

One Too Many
Picked up this wide brimmed Penney's Marathon on ebay. Here are the before and after pictures. The ribbon and liner were badly stained and faded. After a cleaning and renovation, I think it turned out well.
Before:
a>

a>

After:
a>

a>

a>

a>

The difference in the color is think is due to the flash. In the photographs of the hat sitting flat I did not use the flash. The other two pictures of the hat on the stand are with the flash.

Feraud

Bartender
It looks like Optimo did a nice job.
Was anything done to the inside. When renovations are done are the original sweatbands and liners used if they are salvageable?

Razzman

One Too Many
I was very pleased with the work. I was informed that the ribbon was totally faded. The original color was gray, thus the renovated ribbon was also gray. I too liked the original ribbon color and asked if they could match it. I guess they couldn't. The renovation included a clean & reblock, resised, new liner, sweatband and ribbons. The ribbon, liner and sweatband I was told were not salvageable. These items were all returned with the hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I'm a fan of the gold ribbon look, as well -- but a great job on the restoration, and a great looking lid, Razzman.

Cheers,
JtL

ideaguy

One Too Many
WOW- now that's a great before/after example-thanks!
(I've got a couple of oldies with a gold/faded ribbon as well-wonder if they
too were grey?) Has any one else seen this color change??

Razzman

One Too Many
BK, I too wanted to keep the sweatband and the liner. When Graham from Optimo called he said the liner and sweatband had to be replaced. I could see the liner (the color was flecking off) but the sweatband seemed fine to me. I probably should have insisted the original sweatband be reused. Live and learn I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust