Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oval size problem

delphi

New in Town
hello all @ fedora lounge...
i'm new here as i have just gotten to the age where wearing a ball-cap year-round has become a bit boreing. so, i decided to order a pork pie for my first "nice" hat. i understand that a hat shop would be the place to go to make sure it fits, but beings there is no hat shop anywhere near me, i have had to resort to ordering "on line". so, of course there was a problem that i was hopeing to get some help with.
i measured my head 3 times just to make sure i was ordering the right size. the hat arrived, a nice bailey of hollywood wool felt jett finished 7 1/2. problem is, the hat fit o.k. front to back, but it was WAY too big side to side. i could fit my fingers between my temples and the hat.
i've done a little reading on this and there appears to be what they call an "oval" measurement that can be used to avoid this problem. but unless you have a hat custom made, i've not seen this "oval" measurement mentioned as a sizeing option.
so, my question is this - would a "softer" hat with a little "give" to it fit my odd shaped head better than the very "stiff" hat i ordered? or does anyone have any other ideas?
thank you so much for any help.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
hello all @ fedora lounge...
i'm new here as i have just gotten to the age where wearing a ball-cap year-round has become a bit boreing. so, i decided to order a pork pie for my first "nice" hat. i understand that a hat shop would be the place to go to make sure it fits, but beings there is no hat shop anywhere near me, i have had to resort to ordering "on line". so, of course there was a problem that i was hopeing to get some help with.
i measured my head 3 times just to make sure i was ordering the right size. the hat arrived, a nice bailey of hollywood wool felt jett finished 7 1/2. problem is, the hat fit o.k. front to back, but it was WAY too big side to side. i could fit my fingers between my temples and the hat.
i've done a little reading on this and there appears to be what they call an "oval" measurement that can be used to avoid this problem. but unless you have a hat custom made, i've not seen this "oval" measurement mentioned as a sizeing option.
so, my question is this - would a "softer" hat with a little "give" to it fit my odd shaped head better than the very "stiff" hat i ordered? or does anyone have any other ideas?
thank you so much for any help.
I too am a "long oval" and finding that perfect fit is sometimes difficult. I have several long oval hats that fit me like a glove. Obviously my custom hats fit me very well. I also have several regular oval hats that I have re-shaped to fit my head with either a hat stretcher or a cedar block a custom hatter shaped to my head. At a size 7 1/2, if you buy a medium hat-jack type hat stretcher, you can actually stretch a regular oval hat to a long oval with the stretcher. It usually works well for me as a size 7 3/8. Most hats work but any hat with a non-reeded sweatband will even conform better.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken