Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out damn spot!!

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
I have a late forties non-structured gaberdine men's jacket made be MacGregor that is in excellent condition save a small spot in the back near the bottom.
It appears to have been the result of a bleach or Clorox spill. It's only about the size of a nickle, but when I'm wearing it I feel like everyone is looking at it.
I was at a fabric shop the other day and saw some colored markers that are supposed to be for just that sort of problem. The jacket in question is what I'd judge to be a "fawn" color but I found no markers that were close enough in color to chance it. Also, before I turn an obvious bleach spot into what could look like a bullet hole, I'd like to know if anyone out there in Loungeland has had experience with that sort of thing. Until I've resolved the problem I shall be forced to wear it only at very dark evening events.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Frankie L.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
posting challenged

It's painful to admit but I've not yet, in spite of expert advice from all corners, managed to master the posting of pictures.
There are one of two things in this life that I do rather well, but unfortunately, posting %**$!! pictures to the Lounge site is not one of them.
The style of the jacket is not as important as the materiel (gaberdine) and size ( nickle ) of the blemish however.
Thanks though for the reply,
Best Regards,
Frankie L.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Bleach King...

My wife once called me that after an injudicious over-application of Clorox to the weekly wash.

Since bleach removes the dyes from the garment, I know of no easy fix. I haven't heard of the colored markers solution. Everything I tried made the situation worse and the spots more obvious.

Is the spot close enough to the bottom that you could have a tailor add a fabric band to the bottom hem of the jacket? In a neutral or complementary color?

Depends on the jacket, the design, the location of the spot, etc.

Good luck.

I had a shirt, cotton golf type that had a similar spot on the front a single drop of bleach. I tried coloring the spot with blue magic markers! Some how that spot was anticolor and would not hold any color! The shirt is ruined and an attempt to make the rest of the shirt like the spot did not work either!
Relegated to yard work and car repair it is now a rag only!

I hope you can find a way to offset the loss of color.

The Spot! Color it, cover it, or some how replace it?

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
A drum roll please

Thanks Gents for your collective and sound advice. In a fit of desperation I'm going to try the "Magic Marking Stick" and roll the dice. If it works, I'm "stylin", and if not and it turns into a bullet hole, I'll affect a limp and come up with some sketchy tale of heroism during which I "took a bullet" for a damsel in distress. Or, I may just ignore the damn spot and press on with panache!!
Regards,
Frankie "Spots" Lamb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe