Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OT - Rapid Heart Rate Anyone?

ShortClara

One Too Many
If this isn't allowed, you can take it off. It's very OT.

I got beta blockers for my rapid heart rate yesterday, caused by a minor heart murmur. It's supposed to go away by itself. I can take two if the pills a day, and I took one this morning. I am experiencing it again, but I want to take the second pill tonight so I can sleep. So, anyone have any just easy, no-meds remedies to maybe help me calm it down? It not ife threatening, just kinda freaky and uncomfortable.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'm actually going through something similar right now...I've got a kind of arrythmia. My doctor told me that coughing intentionally sometimes helps regulate the heartbeat when it's going crazy. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll take a whack at it next time the ol' tickeroo starts misbehaving.

Foofoogal

Banned
Probably not related but have you had your thyroid checked? I am in remission from Graves disease and in the beginning I had to take betablockers. My rate was 180 bpm.
I took PTU for 6 mo. and diet which I now still use diet.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Oh, gosh, mine is way below that - about 100 or so. I'm usually 68. So I'm not that bad off. I feel a little better now - I laid down for a while. We're 99% sure mine is my heart thing called Mitral Valve Prolapse. My Mom has it and experiences the same thing. I'll have to try the coughing thing. Thanks :):)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I had bouts of a rapid heartbeat for awhile (it would only be a couple of times a day, for less than a minute), and sometimes it felt like my heart was jumping out of my chest and I had to catch my breath! I had to do the coughing thing too and it helped.

What caused it for me was anemia. Once I started taking my iron supplements regularly and got my iron levels back up it went away. Anytime it starts happening again I know it's time to starting taking my iron!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mine beats irregularly at times. I can feel it stop... pause... pause... restart. At first it was really freaky, but now I recognize what's happening. I had it checked. I understand it is common to have such a thing on one side (systolic) but rare to have on both (and diastolic). I have both!

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I watched "Mystery Diagnosis" on Discovery Health and someone also had a very fast heart rate and no one could figure out why. Sometimes it would put this fellow into the emergency room.

After many test, they found out he had Sleep Apnea. The lack of oxygen to his brain would trigger a panic reaction to the heart to pump faster. It not only happened while he slept, but randomly anytime while he was awake.

I had heart palpitations a couple of years ago and found out it was stress related.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
ShortClara said:
Oh, gosh, mine is way below that - about 100 or so. I'm usually 68. So I'm not that bad off. I feel a little better now - I laid down for a while. We're 99% sure mine is my heart thing called Mitral Valve Prolapse. My Mom has it and experiences the same thing. I'll have to try the coughing thing. Thanks :):)

Mitral valve prolapse is very common- especially among Women.
My Mom had it and was prescribed Beta blockers, back in the early '80s.

There are a lot of freaky heart things- some of them imaginary.
I have a freaky rhythm too.

Take care-

B
T

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scot, Bellytank- once you get high blood pressure the meds they give you will stop that irregular stuff forever. I'd get that occassionally and once high BP diagnosed and meds controll it mo more funny beats. And I you probably will get high BP sooner or later as a fact of life[huh]

I take Atenolol- a-t-e-n-o-l-o-l which slows heart rate.( if you spell something with l-o-l you get lol due to emoticons) Anyhow I am down to usually 1 a day at 50MG though a person can take 3 in 24 hours.

And for anyone with possible hypertension- purchase a decent BP monitor. $60? They also give heart rate. Make sure you get one that cuffs the upper arm. The ones that go on the wrist are no good.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Speaking of monitors, I've got a Holter Monitor for the night. I look like Frankenstein. And I got a lecture from the lady putting it on me that it's not practical to wear a dress (vintage, natch) to the doctor's office, because lumpy monitors and dresses don't mix!! LOL I have a strange growth distending my bright pink dress, and surgical tape sticking out the top. MMMM SEXY!! [huh] lol

ShortClara

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mitral valve prolapse is very common- especially among Women.
My Mom had it and was prescribed Beta blockers, back in the early '80s.

I'm having an echocardiogram on Monday to determine if I have it according to the modern definition. I was diagnosed a long time ago, and apparently they played fast and loose with the term, but now it's a more narrow definition. Fine with me if there's nothing wrong :)

Bebop

Practically Family
I have had a rapid heart rate (I call it rabid) and did not want to go the drug route. What helped the most was meditating twice a day. It also relieved my high blood pressure. I am a skeptic about absolutely everything put in front of me so that is saying a lot about meditating. :)

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I get it occasionally. I finally traced it to eating sugary, high-carbohydrate foods. I have no medical training, but I suspect it's related to the release of insulin such foods trigger. No fudge brownies - no rapid heartbeat. Oh, but I do have several suits that need to be re-tailored as the gut has disappeared, too!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Bebop said:
I have had a rapid heart rate (I call it rabid) and did not want to go the drug route. What helped the most was meditating twice a day. It also relieved my high blood pressure. I am a skeptic about absolutely everything put in front of me so that is saying a lot about meditating. :)

I am re-starting yoga tonight to help me. I do think it's stress. May be other things, but we'll see. I know it's not sugar, as I was 8 days into Atkins when it started LOL. I get the monitor off in 2 hours YIPPEE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld