Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimizing the fit of my Aero Sheene

XOX

New in Town
Hi everybody,
I have been the proud owner of an Aero Sheene size 42 in FQHH for 3 months. I am happy with the jacket but I just don't get rid of the feeling that the jacket is a bit (too) short. I've ordered length 27-27.25" and the jacket turned out as 26.5-26.75" (which of course is within the normal variance; I am 5 feet 11 inches tall). The jacket length just feels a bit disproportionate (maybe because I wear my jeans quite low). Besides that I am happy with the fit. Nevertheless, I am considering to order a new one which is 1-1.5" longer (length 28") and sell the old one (if possible on the Aero Sales page). I have made some pictures of the jacket wearing either a T-shirt+ a pullover or only a T-shirt. I've added a photoshop simulation to each picture which shows what the jacket would look like if it was 1-1.5" longer. I am aware that the extra length would restrict the motion around my hip joints. But I think that wouldn't be too significant for me since I wear the jacket open 95% of the time and I don't ride a bike. What do you think?
Greetings from Germany
Philipp
25573557xj.jpg
25573559jp.jpg
25573562lq.jpg
25573564sk.jpg
25573570ac.jpg
25573567kw.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
I'm no expert on the Sheene, but I thought it was simply a HWM with a collar. That would make it a short jacket, to which you've added quite a lot of length already.

I'd say your jeans are the problem, not the jacket. I'm the same height as you and would normally wear a 24.5"-25" back on a jacket like that. If you want a longer jacket to look in proportion and not like a short jacket stretched, you should look at a long HB, where the length is less critical.

I can tell you that it doesn't look too short at all. I prefer shorter jackets, and the shopped photos look okay, but I'd prefer my cafe racer exactly at the 26" mark. Plus it's a correct length for the style. 27" or more and you have a jacket that cannot decide if it wants to be a coat. So, it's a good length that looks good on you.

What wdw said, if it keeps on bothering you, perhaps you could consider another style altogether?

The Sheene is nothing like a highwayman (the Hymn already has a coller, but with a much boxier design & fit), but it is a Cafe Racer with collar.
I prefer a little extra length, even if it is 'suppose' to be a short style. However, IMO the jacket is just borderline in length to me. Not sure that I would go to all the trouble of having another one made. It doesn't look that bad at all going by your photos.
It is difficult to tell where your jacket ends in the photos of the front, though. If It covers your belt, I'd say keep it.
HD

Last edited:
It most certainly does not look too short. It looks fantastic...in both the live and photoshop version. Ultimately, it's how you feel in it that makes all the difference. The photoshop jacket looks to be about 28" in length according to your measurements...You might find yourself constantly wishing it were longer and if you order another one you may want to error on the side of the longer length. I personally wouldn't reorder for such a slight variance but I also understand how something can get in your head, and soemtimes it just won't leave!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't see anything wrong with the length of your jacket, its long enough to cover your belt, but not so long as to interfere with pocket acces.
Perfect length IMO.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not matter how many of us tell you the current length is fine, if YOU feel its too short, then its too short.

Depending on your body shape, maybe what Thurston call a SEVEN will be better for you. Its a collared Aero Board Racer which is by design a slightly longer jacket.

wdw

One Too Many
The Sheene is nothing like a highwayman (the Hymn already has a coller, but with a much boxier design & fit), but it is a Cafe Racer with collar.

Oops, you're right, of course, HD. I knew it was something with a collar, but café racers are beyond my ken. My vote would be to leave as is and get different jeans, as the length seems fine. Damned sight cheaper, at any rate.

To me, the back is perfect!
I think you could use a little front dip, but I'm not sure if another Sheene is the solution. The Sheene has a flat back to front ratio, whereas the "7" (board racer style) has the longer front. :)

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm no expert on the Sheene, but I thought it was simply a HWM with a collar. That would make it a short jacket, to which you've added quite a lot of length already.

I'd say your jeans are the problem, not the jacket. I'm the same height as you and would normally wear a 24.5"-25" back on a jacket like that. If you want a longer jacket to look in proportion and not like a short jacket stretched, you should look at a long HB, where the length is less critical.
The sheene is a cafe racer with a highwayman collar.

Reactions: wdw

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Hi Phillip
maybe you should first try a different jeans with higher rise. I noticed a remarkable difference when comparing my 501 to as example a 666 Ironheart. If you like your jeans low I would chose a remake. The jacket covers not your belt in the front.

If you begin to think about the length of your jacket and start a thread you are not lucky with your jacket and in most cases it will bother you all the time.

Besides the length The overall fit of the jacket is fine.

I don't think than you can sell your jacket at the Aero sale page. They sell their own jackets or jackets that they took back on that page. So you should consider changing your denim is cheaper than a new jacket.

I think it's a Sheene (Cafe Racer with collar) the zippers on the sleeves are at the back.

The more I look at this jacket the more I like it. It really is perfect as is. But just as PN said, if it's in your head it's too short the mass votes to the contrary don't mean diddley squat.
There's always the classifieds here if you can't live with it... It wouldn't happen to be a 42" would it...;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am 3" taller than the OP, and my Sheene has a back length of only 27". Although it is my perception that the OP has a relatively long torso, my solution is to go to the Aero website, click on "Denim" and look at the SJC Brakeman with high rise that will allow the OP to keep the Sheene. Maybe then order another Sheene in russet seal Vicenza HH with a 28" back. Seems a shame to flip such a nice Sheene.

27256e9608b2b128_brakeman-500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe