Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OpenRoad??

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am really hoping it is an OR .That is what I need. I won't be a happy camper if it is'nt.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Just based on the photo...

...I would guess it is an OR. It looks exactly like the one I won recently. Hope it works out--it looks like a fabulous hat.

I'm guessing that the seller's three-inch brim measurement is kinda rough. I got a slew of OR and OR-like lids and the widest brim in the bunch is two and seven-eighths inches. Yes, Mr. GentlemanFarmer, many I've seen are indeed right around two and three-quarters, but some are closer to two and five-eighths and even two and a half. Adam down in PDX posted something a few months back showing an OR with a brim that looked perhaps as narrow as two inches.
Some might think that making an issue of a quarter or even an eighth of an inch of brim width is kind of silly, but I'm tellin' ya, it makes a difference in the hat's overall effect. Several months ago I was wearing that relatively wide-brimmed OR as I was walking into the supermarket. A little guy--about two years old, I'd guess--had one of his hands held by his father (I assume) and with the other he pointed toward me. He said "cowboy!"
The young man was right. It DOES look a lot like a cowboy hat, even with its fedora pinch.
And, Douglas, I'm in agreement with McPeppers. I'm confident that you'd easily find a guy here who would gladly see to it you recouped your investment in that hat, should it come to that.

And ...
Among my collection is one that looks a lot like the one you just bought, Douglas, which appears to have quite similar dimensions and ribbon and bow style and color. Mine even has the windstring, just like yours. Its brown leather sweatband says it's a 3X Stetson, but it doesn't say it's an Open Road. There's nothing to identify its model name. As far as I can tell, it IS an OR, but one that left the factory with an oddball sweatband.

DOUGLAS

Thank you all for the moral support. I'm sure the hat will be fine and if it is not an OR then I will have to keep looking. If I am hogging The Forum with my new acquisitions just pass me a PM and I will try to pepper them a bit. I just get a bit excited about hats. The 3" brim does'nt bother me as I know measurements can be off.

DOUGLAS

Well then, hats it is. Being new here I just did'nt want to step on any toes.

deanglen

DOUGLAS said:
Well then, hats it is. Being new here I just did'nt want to step on any toes.

Keep those pictures coming! (Look at all those Span-Am War shots I used to post.) At worst, I guess folks will just ignore them. But not your hats, Douglas, your right where the Lounge wants to be on fedoras, and the military hats are just a bonus!

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally