Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old hats

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's a wide variety of hats for you guys. I've been wanting to post this for some time, and finally got it scanned. This was taken in the teens I believe as that's my Great Great Grandad Thompson on the far right. These guys are all Thompsons, all of them having immigrated from Scotland at the turn of the century or a bit earlier.
f7.jpg
[/IMG]

fatwoul

Practically Family
It's great - there are so many styles all appearing in the same picture. The guy next to Great Great Grandad Thompson looks like he's carrying a bit of an attitude. Bruiser Thompson. lol ;)

You should think about doing like RBH did, and have majormoore or Art make you up a hat in homage to your GGGPops. Do you have any other pictures of him in his hat?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So cool!

That is a picture to blow up as large as possible, obsessively pore over every tiny detail, and attempt to psychically transport yourself directly back into. I want to have a conversation with every man in that picture! You can tell they'd each have something to say.
Thanks for sharing!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a real treasure of a photograph. Old pictures of movie stars and all are good, but photos like yours Rooster show us what the real man actually wore and how he wore it. And even better, they're your people!

Rooster

Practically Family
Thanks guys. I inhereted all the family photos from my Dad's side of the family. They are a treasure indeed. The fellow in the dark suit with the attitude is probably a son of old Grandad Thompson, or maybe a nephew. My grandmother would know but she's been dead since '92. Anyway , I wonder if he may have worked for John Looney of "Road to Perdition" fame. It's the right time period and they all lived in Rock Island Illinois, the center of Looney's operations. Sure has the right "look" to be involved with those sorts.;)
I have another photo that goes with this one that is of the women of the family that is taken at the same gathering.
I probably ought to post a bunch of these in the old family pictures thread.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Super picture! I am always amused that nobody ever seems to be smiling in these early pictures, it was i guess very serious business getting one's picture taken back then.

The reason nobody smiled in pictures is simple: 'twas a holdover from tintypes and 20 min+ exposure times. You don't see people smiling in pictures MUCH til the mid 20s.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Super picture! I am always amused that nobody ever seems to be smiling in these early pictures, it was i guess very serious business getting one's picture taken back then.
haha! that's going to be my excuse from now on!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust