Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, did any of us win this Stetson Whippetesque?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This was a nice hat. Hated to miss it. Anyone here?

Royal Stetson.
2a22_1_b.JPG

Weren't me.
But as an aside ... it wasn't all that long ago that the price that hat fetched would have seemed kinda lofty. Now, it's almost a bargain.
Nice hat, by the looks of it. Congrats to whoever ended up with it.

RedPop4

One Too Many
tonyb said:
Weren't me.
But as an aside ... it wasn't all that long ago that the price that hat fetched would have seemed kinda lofty. Now, it's almost a bargain.
Nice hat, by the looks of it. Congrats to whoever ended up with it.
That's a big problem, as far as I'm concerned.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Yes, it was me. And it was "near mint", as advertised. Spotless, only lightly worn, and it even smelled good. And it's my actual size to boot.

Anyone who thinks $125 is crazy for this hat has not been looking on eBay lately for size 7 3/8 long oval or 7 1/2 hats.

Joel

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
Yes, it was me. And it was "near mint", as advertised. Spotless, only lightly worn, and it even smelled good. And it's my actual size to boot.

Anyone who thinks $125 is crazy for this hat has not been looking on eBay lately for size 7 3/8 long oval or 7 1/2 hats.

Joel

No kiddin'. It has gotten to the point where if I win a hat that is below $200 in my size (7 3/8) then I am a happy camper. unfortunately that means that I am not acquireing too many hats nowadays.:rolleyes:

nulty

One of the Regulars
"Anyone who thinks $125 is crazy for this hat has not been looking on eBay lately for size 7 3/8 long oval or 7 1/2 hats."

Joel is all too correct.

I ran across a late 40's Stetson 20 Soveriegn that had only a 23 1/2 " inside measurement in the description. No size tag. Theer was a reserve and a buy it now of $85.00. One bidder with 6 days to go. it was a Gorgeous hat in the pictures.

Given the lack of a size in the auction I though it might fall under the radar but after a few days of rumination I took it at 85.00. I certainly don't regret it. I won't be taking anything else anytime soon , I've had my fill of eBay for awhile.

I do have to question the worthines of the quest when the stakes are becoming so high..

sorry :eek:fftopic:

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not an advocate of higher ebay prices for hats, as I'm a buyer rather than a seller (sellers love higher prices, of course). However, what would that same hat sell for today from Stetson or one of the custom guys who could give you similar quality? Isn't that about the same price as a Federation Deluxe from Akubra? Yeah, I'd rather not pay that much, either, but it's still not outrageous.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I have the exact same hat in grey (see threads), and I picked it up for $24.99.

Only bidder.

AlanC said:
I'm not an advocate of higher ebay prices for hats, as I'm a buyer rather than a seller (sellers love higher prices, of course). However, what would that same hat sell for today from Stetson or one of the custom guys who could give you similar quality? Isn't that about the same price as a Federation Deluxe from Akubra? Yeah, I'd rather not pay that much, either, but it's still not outrageous.

That's the crux of it, Alan. I'm generally not one to spend big on old hats, either, seeing how I already have a pretty good sized collection, and because I figure that bargains are still out there, which I'm content to let come my way. But those who do are certainly no crazier than your typical new-hat buyer, for the reason you so clearly articulated. I wish I had back all the dough I spent on new factory-made hats over the years -- hats that now rarely get worn because they just plain don't measure up to the vintage and custom jobs.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
StetsonRoyal01.jpg

StetsonRoyal02.jpg

StetsonRoyal03.jpg

StetsonRoyal04.jpg

It's a wonderful hat, and the workmanship is top notch. I have to say though that I'm not a fan of the felt. It's stiff, and although smooth, it doesn't have the "hand" that I prefer - like the finish that Art has on his hats - more fluffy, for lack of a better word. I even prefer my Akubra Fedora's felt. :eek: I know, crazy!

The only problem with it is the greenish oxidation on the logo paint. They must've used a metal pigment?

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally