Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYPOST: A TOUCH OF CRASH (DEPRESSION-ERA CHIC)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Taking a cue from the grim economy, this fall's fashions at Banana Republic, Gap and H&M are featuring a distinctly Depression-era trend of cloche hats, pencil skirts, conductor caps and baggy, vintage-style dresses.

One of the most popular styles appears to hark back to the impish, newsboy getup of the 1930s: baggy trousers, caps, pinstriped vests, oxford lace-up shoes and utilitarian handbags.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282008/news/regionalnews/a_touch_of_crash_121893.htm

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Beat me to it, I was just going to post this link.

I'm not sure that the newsboy style looks very good on women.

NH

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Real Depression style was when you tried to look your best every day because it was the only way you could have any pride. If you had only one hat or suit you were ashamed, and if you had more than one, you were even more ashamed.

I don't think that kind of shame will be coming back, which is probably a good thing, but neither will the style.

Image12.jpg

Untitled (Sixth Avenue, NYC). Ben Shahn, ca. 1932.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I'm disappointed not to actually *see* any pencil skirts illustrated. The so-called newsboy look that the girl on the street was wearing - blech. It's like 1930s-goes-hiphop. Which I thought they'd already done given the popularity of the homburg with that set.

Still, maybe some good will come of this as it trickles down from high fashion to the mainstream retailers. I'd love to see my wife in a pencil skirt.

What's a conductor cap? Is that like a French Army Kepi?

-Dave

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
Still, maybe some good will come of this as it trickles down from high fashion to the mainstream retailers. I'd love to see my wife in a pencil skirt.

High-waisted pencil skirts have been officially 'in' since Spring '07, you can find them anywhere.

Edward

Bartender
Meh. Sure, when the mainstream supposedly 'revives' a style, they more often than not get it totally wrong. That said, it can sometimes provide some good stuff to cherry-pick from....

The frustrating thing, though, is how rare anything vintage style actually impacts on the men's clothing market. Even reproduction stuff, aimed directly at the vintage enthusiast, is much harder to find (and often seems omre expensive) for men than women (though I guess the ladies would point to this as a rare turning of the tbles, eh? ;) ).

To my inexpert eye, (and glossing over entirely the fact that the young lady pictured would be cross-dressing if this was vintage accurate, non?), those trousers look too low slung, and are much too long for the lady.... [huh]

Bah, ignore me being such a grump.... I'm just a bit frustrated with my wardrobe at the minute!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
To me...this look is a thousand times better then muffin top trousers or jeans, a midriff bearing tank top...etc.

its -fashion-..its never going to be classic or vintage in the way that 'we' want it to be.......and who the heck cares? to be honest. I dont have to wear it, you dont have to wear it......

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Edward said:
Meh. Sure, when the mainstream supposedly 'revives' a style, they more often than not get it totally wrong. That said, it can sometimes provide some good stuff to cherry-pick from....

Yup. That's the hope, anyway. :)

I don't mind the look not being totally vintage accurate. I do get a little miffed when a look get slapped with a label - "Depression Era Chic" - but it isn't accurate. Pencil skirts aren't exactly late 20s-late 30s. "Newsboy chic" would be more appropriate, methinks, and spans a wider time period.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
its -fashion-..its never going to be classic or vintage in the way that 'we' want it to be.......and who the heck cares? to be honest. I dont have to wear it, you dont have to wear it......

True, true.... I'm just a right grinch when it comes to fashion as modern notions of "disposable fashion" are the reason I can pretty much never find the clothes I want to wear withoutg great hassle....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
True, true.... I'm just a right grinch when it comes to fashion as modern notions of "disposable fashion" are the reason I can pretty much never find the clothes I want to wear withoutg great hassle....
(emphasis added)

Yes, I don't picture any of the items shown becoming wardrobe workhorses that can be worn for long without looking "last season."

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
To me...this look is a thousand times better then muffin top trousers or jeans, a midriff bearing tank top...etc.

I agree with this. I actually do think this ensemble looks better than SOME of the other fashions out there today.

I'd also like to see the men's version. Just out of sheer curiosity mind you, this isn't my type of style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe