Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non symmetry ties

Trint

New in Town
With a new interest in older ties I find that many of them are more or less wry/askew at the wide end.

153508420.2770qxyW.Slips.jpg

I guess this wasn't made by purpose but is a result of materal, age or something else.
Question is if these ties are something to stay away from or if it just adds to the charm?
I find myself to go with the latter.

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Ties are cut on the bias of the fabric, which allows them to stretch but can cause twisting and such over time if not cared for. The asymmetry can be corrected (don't just lay it out and iron it!), or if it's not too much it can be left alone. I rarely pass on ties just because they're a little cockeyed, I've realigned several.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I find ties like that are rather common. I have seen ties complete with their original labels that are exactly like that, so it's not always a case of twisting etc with wear.

It doesn't bother me. If in doubt, wear them with a waistcoat: no one will notice.

DamianM

Vendor
It was a style of necktie commonly found in the early 20s and before, but there have been cases of them popping up later aswell
Some had the selvedge on the longer end.
Its not something to stay away from, they are overall pretty rare, if from the period.

I have a handful of them and i don't part with them for the life of me
Check this one out, its hand painted which is overall more rare.
$_57.JPG

This thread has Dinermans collection and you might find a few
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?71996-Pre-1930s-neckties

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
While I don't have any ties as wildly asymmetrical as Damian's example above, I have a few of the 40's and 50's era that were sewn and pressed in an asymmetrical fashion; I wouldn't think about changing them. While I enjoy symmetrical ties the same, I think the asymmetry can give wonderful character to a necktie, especially if it took years of use to get that shape.

DamianM

Vendor
I would love to see your 40s-50s neckties. to see if they are made to be that way or just from being knotted.

I have seen a couple 40s neckties made as severe as the example I showed above but not many.

Annixter

Practically Family
I would love to see your 40s-50s neckties. to see if they are made to be that way or just from being knotted.

I found these three in a quick search. The one on the left is 30s. The other two late 40s/early 50s. From the backside, I cannot find any old iron creases to suggest an pressing mistake, and the fabric isn't twisted or lumped up in a way that would suggest that the ties weren't always this way. The stitching is all intact too. What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe