Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Flapper 1920s makeup?

SimplySarah

New in Town
I have searched endlessly on the web and on YouTube, trying to find some information about makeup from the 1920s that isn't heavy, black lidded eyes or other flapper looks.

I want a natural-ish look using the colors a woman would have used in the 1920s to obtain the same natural-ish look. Daisy Buchanan when lounging around the house, rather than at a party. ;) Anyone have any tips?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Nothing concrete, I'm afraid (not my era), but probably very little - just a little powder, perhaps some blusher, although it was pretty gaudy stuff back then and maybe a tiny bit of lipstick?

I don't think mascara was really worn much for day till later in the 20s/ early 30s.

swinggal

One Too Many
Wearing makeup in and 'everyday' sense the 1910s and early 1920's was very much seen as 'tarty' by many so whatever was worn was quite natural looking. Women used a little more for formal events etc.

The average woman didn't actually wear a lot of makeup in the 20s. You have to remember that the 'flapper look' was seen as totally outrageous by many older women and was mainly worn by younger girls. Being called a 'flapper' was not a flattering term at the time. And sadly many of these younger women who were brave enough to try the new contraversial styles were seen as 'loose'. Eventually some of the style became mainstream.

My nana told me that her older sisters (in the 20s) would wear a bit of lipstick or beetroot stain on their lips, keeping them very rosebud-like and a little face powder if they could afford it, but not a lot else. She said that they spent more time on their hair than anything else and that women of all ages DID copy the more feminine, bobbed and waved shorter styles of the 20s or they would keep their longer hair tied in a bun and wave the front like a shorter bob. The more masculine 'Eaton Crops 'and sharp bobs were again mainly worn by younger women.

This pic is more in tune with what an average woman in the 20s would be made up like.
1920p4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe