Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice everyday pictures from 30s to 50s

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Good old C.W. Cushman!

What a legacy he left - a very early color vernacular photographer. What a window on his times.

I'd been thru the collection before, but apparently some things have been added - I saw several I didn't recognize!

This picture actually depicts a grievous railroad accident at Naperville, Ill., in 1946.
P03248.jpg

Two westbound Burlington Route flyer trains left Chicago that noontime. One had an engine flame-up and stopped in the station at Naperville, about 30 mi west of Chicago, to check on it. Before flags or flares could be put out, the second flyer came through on the same track at 80 mph, ramming the stopped train and destroying several cars. 47 people were killed and over 125 injured.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Cushman Archive

I'm a fan, too. He certainly left the world a LOT of nice pictures of azalea shrubs, but he left a lot more. It's fascinating watching him and his wife age over the years. His wife was quite an elegant woman. But her expressions often seem awfully glum. I often wonder what their lives were all about.
He had a good eye for the sweet young lasses, too, didn't he? (Hmmm . . . maybe that explains Mrs. C's glum expression.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe