Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie buys New Hat

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Howdy, I'm new here (officially - I've been a "lurking" guest for months), my 3rd post I think.

I've just ordered a Montecristi Panama from Panamabob. :D After Hours of reading posts here, I had e-mailed him a couple of times with questions on different hats, and tried to call (left message). He returned my call this evening and was quite patient and helpful with my novice/buy-on-a-budget "what if" this and "what about" that questions. So far a very good experience.

Many thanks to members here who have helped "educate" me (enough to be dangerous?). I'll post again in 2 or three weeks when it arrives.

Regards,

Mark

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
First Time at Bat!!

You hit a homer in my opinion. I have 3 of his hats and am very happy with them. Two Monti's and one Cuenca. Exactly what I expected and reasonable considering!!!!!

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Oh, Fair New Mexico...!

Hello GF, good to "meet" someone else from God's Country.

I was born in Alamogordo, 1957. UNM, '75 - '79. I taught school in Roswell, '70/'80 - my first job after college. We moved to Lubbock in 1980, spent two years there, then moved to Illinois when we joined the USAF. I sure miss the dry air, the mountains and the beautiful skies.:cry: (I even miss the desert.) [huh]

Regards,

- Mark

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Just as you said...

SHARPETOYS said:
Welcome to the Montecristi hat club... I bet it won't be your last.

..." :D Like a cloud on your head... ", SHARPETOYS

:D Mine arrived yesterday. It fits perfectly, is very light and soft.
MC%20Front.jpg
MC%20Crown.jpg

It is an Ecuadoran block, and hand shaped (I believe). I used a steam iron, towel and spray starch to build up the snap a little, and tried to sharpen the joint between brim and crown in front. Results in bottom picture (pardon all below the brim).
MC%20Profile.jpg

MC%20On%20Head.jpg

(Whaddaya mean, "Can you smoke a cigarette in the rain"? Wise guy!)

Comments first, more details later.

Now I can put my felt away. Happy day,

- Mark

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
In other words, "You might consider ordering another one that's blocked with a higher crown." Practice makes perfect!

A Montecristi comes from Montecristi with a 4 inch crown. That is the standard. When you block that out you might have 4 1/4 peak or 4 1/2 depending on the type of block. If you want to pay more, which most people do not, you can get it as big as you want.

Be sure to check all of the experts and look at the the crown heights.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
In other words, "You might consider ordering another one that's blocked with a higher crown." Practice makes perfect!

That said, felicitaciones for entering a most entertaining world: el mundo de los panam?°s.

If I thought he needed a higher crown I would say so... I don't need you twisting my words...In other words post your thoughts!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Now, back to NewMexExpat's panama.

Again, the photos show (and the provenance makes clear) that your hat is a really good one. Does it suit your head? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... and it varies among beholders. This particular "beholder" feels that a higher-crowned panama would look especially appealing on you. Now, as Panamabob has informed us, Montecristi doesn't really give you that option. It's a question, then, of whether you'd prefer the quality of a Montecristi over the benefit of a higher crown, or vice-versa. Now that you have one, you can certainly go for the other.

And Sharpetoys is quite right: these words and the opinions behind them are mine, not his. I apologize to him for having intimated otherwise.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Now, as Panamabob has informed us, Montecristi doesn't really give you that option.

It is an option, ask around. The only thing is that you have to pay more money or you get a larger hat with less quality weave....it comes down to what you are willing to spend as far as the height, crown length and fineness.

The standard is 4 inches...because the horma is that size.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I should have added that the Optimo is high because there aren't any indentations.

The Cuenca Optimos are especially high.

I've been all over Peru, too. Love Arequipa. Between Cuenca and Arequipa, it would be a tough place to choose to retire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe