Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to me Johnson Leathers ebay buy

That's a shame on the size...no way to layer with it and keep it?

I had a Tele (Highway One) built for my son at Manny's in NYC in 2008. He took the obligatory lessons and piddled around for a couple years, then it seemed to sit. Then all of the sudden, he's playing with some friends - fun, but again, it sorta stopped.

FF to three years ago, and he gets bit by the bug again (at 19). He met a kid through work that had a band and was looking for a new guitarist. Ever since, they've been on a roll and now they all live together and are making some really good progress. I am so happy to see that guitar getting used finally. I've loved guitars since I was a kid - even though I wanted to play drums. Dad wouldn't let me. So I bought nice guitars, hoping to get the passion and learn it. Never happened. But I do have a nice black/gold 1969 Les Paul at my mom's house in PA. Still in it's case, and looks like the day I bought it (for about $400 in 1974). Maybe one day the kid will get that - but his Tele is like his hero's - Joe Strummer - so I think he'll stick with it...sorry for the hijack. :)

Look forward to pics of the jacket. That lining has me, which is ironic as the case for the above guitar I own is lined with purple crushed velvet!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Received the jacket today, It's actually better than the pictures except the size. It was listed as having a 21" pit to pit, I haven't measured it but it's got to be closer to 23.

The leather is unbelievable, I was mistaken earlier it's actually steer and about 2.5oz. Compared to my Steer Aero's this jacket needs zero break in time, yet still feel like it will last a lifetime. The french seams on the jacket are very impressive, Johnson Leathers workmanship appears to be second to none. The pockets are lined with soft leather, nice touch and the quilted lining just slides right on.

If it wasn't for being a bit big, I would never let this jacket go.

I'll post some pictures over the weekend and get the correct measurements. I might have to relist it because it feels to big on me

I understand. Same with my Johnson Hercules; great leather, great construction, doesn't fit. Mine is marked as a 44. Listing had 22.5 as pit to pit. I have not measured it, but there is no way this is a 44. I will probably sell mine also and it will be advertised as a 46, because any 44 who buys it will be lost in too.

I got such a good deal I didn't say anything to the seller or even measure. I had another Johnson, also sized as a 44 that was also a bit big, not like the Hercules, but still t was a 46 too.

The Hercules also has leather lined pockets, I did like that touch. Never had that on a jacket. Probably not too warm!

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
That's a shame on the size...no way to layer with it and keep it?

I had a Tele (Highway One) built for my son at Manny's in NYC in 2008. He took the obligatory lessons and piddled around for a couple years, then it seemed to sit. Then all of the sudden, he's playing with some friends - fun, but again, it sorta stopped.

FF to three years ago, and he gets bit by the bug again (at 19). He met a kid through work that had a band and was looking for a new guitarist. Ever since, they've been on a roll and now they all live together and are making some really good progress. I am so happy to see that guitar getting used finally. I've loved guitars since I was a kid - even though I wanted to play drums. Dad wouldn't let me. So I bought nice guitars, hoping to get the passion and learn it. Never happened. But I do have a nice black/gold 1969 Les Paul at my mom's house in PA. Still in it's case, and looks like the day I bought it (for about $400 in 1974). Maybe one day the kid will get that - but his Tele is like his hero's - Joe Strummer - so I think he'll stick with it...sorry for the hijack. :)

Look forward to pics of the jacket. That lining has me, which is ironic as the case for the above guitar I own is lined with purple crushed velvet!

That's really cool about your son, I hope he sticks with it. I also had a 1969 black Les Paul with the T-top pickups best sound ever, but mine looked like it was dragged under truck for a decade.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
I talked to Alan at Johnson Leathers and I'm considering having the knit bottom removed and changing the knit cuffs to leather as well. I think the jacket would be perfect for layering a wool sweater during the winter following ButteMT61's suggestion.

Removing the knit bottom takes care of the extra few inch's of length, and after wearing it around for an afternoon I think it maybe worth modifying.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Here's a picture of me wearing it today. After wearing the jacket this afternoon, i'm even more in love with the 2.5oz Horween Overdye steer.
20151025_142429.jpg 20151025_142459(0).jpg

the loco

One of the Regulars
Before I bought a Schott 689H MC jacket, I considered buying a similar Johnson jacket made of Horween leather, but they unfortunately never responded my e-mail and the web site lacked the information to make the order straight away.

I didn't try Schott's FQHH yet, my 689H should arrive in few days, but the Horween CXL steer leather is spectacular.

I have read that the black Horween leather Johnson uses isn't CXL and has a brown undertone.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
I sent the jacket to Alan at Johnson Leathers for some modifications a few weeks ago and it should be shipping tomorrow. Heres what I had done to it.

Remove knitting at waist and shorten zipper
Remove knit cuffs and replace with button cuffs and shorten/taper sleeves for cuffs
Taper jacket fit from pit to waist to make it a much more slimmer fitting jacket.

I can't wait to get back, I'll post pictures once I have it.

tblay

One of the Regulars
The Hercules also has leather lined pockets, I did like that touch. Never had that on a jacket. Probably not too warm!

I am obsessed with leather-lined pockets on custom leather jackets. I don't even really use them that much, but I always ask for them if they're available. It's just so luxurious sticking your hand in...:D They also last longer than cloth-lined pockets.

tblay

One of the Regulars
That's a beautiful jacket. I couldn't pull off the lining color, but it's fantastic all around.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
That's funny the lining is really what caught my attention.

The leather lined pockets are incredible soft and feel really cool. I agree probably not very warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
I mostly build Fender Telecasters and a few Les Paul's.

Nice styles. I'm very much a Fender man.... my favourite guitar is probably my 2006 71 Reissue Fender Telecaster (Japanese built - half the price of the US equivalent in the UK, and built from the same components.... no-brainer). I have other guitars I love too, but this is the only one that I didn't go looking for.... found it in a shop, tried it ouyt, loved it instantly but couldn't afford it.... six months later, I had the cash and it wasx still there..... It found me. I'm left-handed, so it's pretty unusual to have that experience, to say the least!

Can you build a Telecaster to have the same sound (tone) as a Les Paul?

Two very different beasts. That said, the big "LesPaul Sound" loads of people rave about on the solo for Stairway to Heaven was actually a Telecaster. Page also played a combination of Tele and Les Paul on the firstg Zeppelin album.... he can't remember which was which, and nobody else has ever been able to call it one way or the other.

But I do have a nice black/gold 1969 Les Paul at my mom's house in PA. Still in it's case, and looks like the day I bought it (for about $400 in 1974). Maybe one day the kid will get that - but his Tele is like his hero's - Joe Strummer - so I think he'll stick with it...sorry for the hijack. :)

Uncle Joe, God rest his soul - thirteen years gone this month. Probably the only man who ever lived that I'd follow into battle (and so death or glory becomes just another story....).

That LP will be worth quite a bit now. Not as much as the 50s examples, but since those soared beyond the reach of all but the very few a couple of decades ago, the 60s guitars have been rocketing up in value...

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Received the jacket today. OMG it's perfect, Alan tailored the fit and the look I wanted to a T, it's a night and day difference from the original jacket I started with. What do you guys think? I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

IMG_0192.jpg

Wow!
Well done, this piece is a real testament to what Alan can do.
I like this version much better, and it looks great on you.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Now that is a well done transformation. Marvelous... totally bad arse all the way. Bravo and well done... couldn't ask for better!!!!!! (Can you tell that I'm impressed?)

Worf

BobJ

Practically Family
That's a darn creative idea! I bet you're going to inspire others around here to try it. I would if I had a jacket with knits that was too long in arm and body. Yours looks great - especially with those pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe