Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New styled" Fedoras

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Hi there! First off I would like to say I'm new to the Lounge so if this has been extensively covered elsewhere I apologize in advance. I love this site and have been on it long enough to guess some of you guys won't be thrilled to hear this but...the only fedora I currently own is one of the new styled trilby fedoras. But theres a reason! I'm a senior in high school and have to balance my budget with such things as college money and money for when my friends and I go out and getting gifts for my girlfriend amongst other things. I can't afford a really nice fedora at the moment although I do badly want one to go with my assortment of suits and trench coats. So I was wondering what you good people thought about it. I see it as a step in the right direction and a small step towards owning a "true" classic looking fedora. My current one is fairly large and a good hat but has nothing on fur felt fedoras. Do you guys think its a step toward the real deal and a good choice until I have the funds for a fur felt or should I have just saved my money until I could buy a "real" fedora?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Jeff, at your age the currently fashionable stingy brims are fine. Don't be in any hurry to upgrade your wardrobe with anything expensive. Ebay, thrift shops and relatives exist for the purpose of improving your attire without busting the budget. For my nephews last birthday, I upgraded his hat collection with a very decent panama (it was August). Next year I'll get him an Akubra. That way he doesn't have to choose between gas to get to work and new clothes!:D

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Thanks Oldsarge! I do have a thrift store in my city I visit with a friend of mine sometimes and the next time we go I have been planning to take a much closer look at the hats and see what I might be able to aquire thats within my budget. I do want a fur felt fedora, and I'm also looking to get a tweed flatcap. Always got to watch the budget but at the same time always something you wanna get. And your nephew is one lucky guy!

RBH

Bartender
Wise words Sarge!
Some and I repeat some of the short brims look good on you young folk.
It is a good start to hat wearing, take it slow as to find what style you really like.
Believe over time some of your likes will change. Good Luck!!!
And what size are you?

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
The tag on the inside of the trilby says large. I got it for 20 bucks at wal mart and I was trying on a few of them in the store. No numbers were listed just small, medium, large, extra large. The medium was allright but I am partially deaf and have a cochlear implant which is a device that allows me to hear somewhat normally. The implant includes an outer piece called a processor that attachs to the side of my head via a magnet.(connecting to a magnet that is in my head) I can't risk the processor coming loose and breaking so I have to get hats that are just slightly bigger for my head than they would be normally.(Sorry for the long explanation there)

tealseal

A-List Customer
Jeff, going with a "trendy" (for lack of a better word) fedora for your first is very wise, as it has provided you with an inexpensive introduction to the world of hat wearing and allowed you to see if hats are an accessory you wish to incorporate into your daily wardrobe. For me, it started with a Kangol Arnold trilby. Developing a hattitude takes time, and as you are interested in upgrading when funds/holidays allow, I think you're on the right track. The recommendation to look at vintage stores, ebay, and the FL classifieds when it comes buying time is definately worth it for the price point. However, I would HIGHLY recommend that you visit a real brick and mortar hat store to try on lots and lots of hats to find your ideal shape, size, brim width, ribbon, color, etc before spending money. I think you're on the right track (well, it's the path I took). Welcome!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I started, many, many years ago, with inexpensive fedoras. Finances were (even more) limited than they are now so I bought and wore what I could afford and what I thought looked good on me at that time. As so many have said, and I'm sure so many others will say, do what works for you. Take it slow, and if it is meant to evolve and progress, then it will. Enjoy what you wear on your head!

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Thanks everybody! Its nice to be greeted so warmly by everyone and to be given good advice. I absoluetly do enjoy wearing my current fedora and believe it makes a fine substitute until I can get a fur felt one. And I do intend to get a hat that is fitted for me and works well with my head. I will say that I'am particularly a fan of Matt Deckards Powell fedora and would love to have that or a hat like it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Jeff,

I started wearing fedoras a couple of years back, and I started with the cheap 'fashion fedoras' that are so popular these days.

If that's all that's available to you, I suggest starting with a classic colour. Dark blue, black, brown, grey or white. That, at least, will look good with the clothes you wear, and they don't cost a fortune.

If you want a classic, fur-felt fedora or trilby, then your best bet is to browse thrift/charity shops. Hats pop up in those places every now and then, and you can sometimes get lucky (I bought two fur felt hats in just such a shop in a single day. One fedora, one homburg, $20 each).

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Hello Shangas
Yes I know a couple of thrift stores in or around my general area where I plan to hunt for a nice lid. I will be careful to ensure that it does fit me well and is in good shape first of course. And I agree with those colors, I would particularly like either a gray or brown one as those appeal to my love of film noir. Sadly the fashion fedoras I could have bought when I was looking for one were limited to black(Which severly limits what I can wear it with.) Very nice catch for you though! Homburgs are starting to grow on me quite a bit and I have been thinking of maybe aquiring one of those as well. Always something new to look for :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree, black can be somewhat limiting. In my opinion, brown and grey are the two most versatile colours. You can wear those two with almost anything, and you won't look weird.

When buying hats second hand, the most important things to check for are:

Condiiton of the felt (stains, moth-holes etc).
Condition of the shape (is it out of shape? Can you press it back into shape by hand?)
Lining? (Most good hats will have linings of silk, sometimes backed up with plastic, to make it easier to clean. Not all hats come with linings. Some, like boaters, panamas and some floppy felt hats are sold without them).
Sweat-band? (Good hats make bands out of leather. Cheaper hats have simple cloth bands, but they can still be good).

Familiarise yourself with the quality brand-names. Akubra. Stetson. Borsolino etc.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Going cheap is the way to go at first. I'm also a senior in high school and know how it is to have to keep a budget such as yours. I missed out on some great hats earlier this month, due to having to save up for an anniversary with my girlfriend. I started out with those trilbies, but keep an eye out. My nicest hat (a Cavangh) was bought for 50 cents at a garage sale. I also bought 3 hats for 45 dollars here on The Lounge. Just be patient, a good deal will come along eventually.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Thanks! I will certainly be writing that list down and taking it with me on my quest to find a proper lid. And the names Akubra, Stetson and Borsalino are all very familar to me from lurking here for a couple years. I've heard lots of advice on all of those hats and plan to look for them when out "on the hunt"

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Thanks DavidJ and another senior interested in hats huh? Most of the kids at my school think its unusual to even wear the new style fedoras. And I totally hear you on the girlfriend thing. This month I took her out on a nice date, and got her presents for Valentines Day and got her jewlery for her birthday.....basically in February I have negative money :D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Jeff & nice to "see" you here

This is a great place, you'll enjoy yourself.
DO keep an eye peeled at thrift stores & garage sales.

Mass-a-two-sh*ts (sorry :D) is a prosperous state & has been for a long time, there have to be some treasures out there. You are also quite near the early to mid 2oth Century hub of hat making in Connecticut. There were so many hat manufactures up in the N.E. I can't tell you. Take a ride into the boonies & see what you can find. I got three NOS fedoras

LeeMediumBrown.jpg
LeeAdventurefull.jpg
LeeGenuinePanamaBluebandfull.jpg

from a Danbury attic from the granddaughter of someone who was a lifer at Mallory. One of the hats was a straw- get this- bound for a Knoxville (my current address) retailer, though clearly never made it here.

Also, being diligent looking on eBay/etsy/Bonanza and other online sources can pay off.

Malloryonetsy.jpg

I got a killer Mallory thin ribbon on etsy some time back for fourteen dollars + shipping!

Good luck Jeff & keep us apprised of your progress, eh?

~RB

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Good advice Rick! I will have to take a drive out to "the boonies" and see what I can come up with. There's not a whole heck of a lot in regards to thrift stores in my area. Theres one Salvation Army and thats about it. I would have to drive around a bit to find a proper thrift store thats likely to have fedoras but I'm sure it'll be worth it if I can score a good hat. I most certainly will keep you guys updated on my fedora progress and may I just say that the gray hat in the middle is quite nice to my eyes. I would certainly not mind discovering something like that in a thrift shop!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Jeff,
These are good issues for a young man with taste to consider.
When I was a year older than you are now, I began to get serious about classic and vintage clothing and have never turned back.

That year I made a couple of purchases. One was a really classy pair of Wolf Brothers khaki slacks ... khakis were harder to find back then, unless you went to the Army surplus and bought Air Force pants -- seriously, that was where people went for them.
The slacks were great during college, but after that, who knows?

That same year, however, I purchased a Knox 25, long finish, cream colored fedora ... tall, straight crown and wide brim. This past year, I took the Knox in to Wichita Hat Works for a rebuild and I'm still getting a lot of enjoyment out of the old lid.

The point is, keep looking for classic fur felt hats and then take care of them. They will serve you for the rest of your life if you take care of them.

Good luck,

Sam

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
Thank you for the advice Sam, I'll certainly consider all that you said. And I've gotta have more khakis than any other type of pants! Can't believe they used to be hard to find. I'll certainly take good care of any hats I manage to find

Edward

Bartender
I agree, black can be somewhat limiting. In my opinion, brown and grey are the two most versatile colours. You can wear those two with almost anything, and you won't look weird.

When buying hats second hand, the most important things to check for are:

Condiiton of the felt (stains, moth-holes etc).
Condition of the shape (is it out of shape? Can you press it back into shape by hand?)
Lining? (Most good hats will have linings of silk, sometimes backed up with plastic, to make it easier to clean. Not all hats come with linings. Some, like boaters, panamas and some floppy felt hats are sold without them).
Sweat-band? (Good hats make bands out of leather. Cheaper hats have simple cloth bands, but they can still be good).

Familiarise yourself with the quality brand-names. Akubra. Stetson. Borsolino etc.

Also, know your SIZE. A hat that is markedly too big or too small will always look fancy dress.

Thanks DavidJ and another senior interested in hats huh? Most of the kids at my school think its unusual to even wear the new style fedoras. And I totally hear you on the girlfriend thing. This month I took her out on a nice date, and got her presents for Valentines Day and got her jewlery for her birthday.....basically in February I have negative money :D

I do recall disposable income being the big bonus to being the guy who never had a girlfriend at school. :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Jeff,

Double on the bargains. I scored one very nice Resistol semi-stingy brim for $29, including shipping. The eBay seller listed it as "wool" felt, which it isn't, which probably kept the buyers away.

Late last year I visited a small town north of Noo Awlins and found not one but two vintage Stetson Stratoliners, a model VERY much sought after here, in a antique shop. Price: $25 each. Downside: Both were far far too small for me, or most adult humans. Upside: When I mentioned it here, one of the Loungers ordered them for his small son, and in return sold me a fine quality vintage Stetson Open Road, a hat that should have gone for $100 or even more, for half that.

So, one way or another, the bargains can be found!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe