Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here- just want to say hi!

vintageredhead

New in Town
My name is Karen and I am SOOOO excited to see that there are people out there just like me who live in the present but prefer the past!! I am a photographer and I specialize in the vintage style-black and white and hand-colored using oil paints. I have 4 kids, 2 boys, 2 girls, ages 5 through 9. I love old radios and phonographs- and everything else everyone here does!! I have a collection of hats-some really fun ones!! My favorite is my father in law's WWII Air Force hat. I have his whole uniform and put it on my son for my post 9/11 Christmas card. It was and still is one of my favorite portraits!!

It is just so nice to find a place that I feel like I fit in!!

Karen aka vintageredhead

vintageredhead

New in Town
Thanks!

I'm in cold and grey Michigan. Now that I have found this site, I will have something fun to do while I am housebound this winter!!! This place is wonderful!!!!!! I can see myself spending way too much time here!!!

I never appreciated my auburn hair when I was a kid, but I like it now-it's nice to be different. The freckles kinda stunk tho- I got told all the time that I looked like Buffy from the tv show Family Affair.

What was it like for you?

Karen

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Karen! I am new too and so far it looks nice around here. Enjoy your stay and I hope to see you around the board. I am surprised by how male dominated this board seems to be but that's okay. :eek:

Hondo

One Too Many
Greetings and Welcome and if you get a chance post the Xmas card, I'm sure some here would like to see father-inlaws uniform on your son. What type of cap did he wear? Enjoy your stay.

H.

Wild Root

Gone Home
As co-bartender her in the Golden Era, I'd like to welcome you to the Lounge! So, you like old radios and record players? Well, that's my #1 Collectable! I collect radios and 78's from the 20's to the late 40's. Also some here can tell you I'm a 1930's/40's transplant! I live a vintage life style including driving a 1946 Plymouth.

Red hair you say? Swell! Myrna Loy is one of my top favorite red heads! She was such a great star in the golden era! Love all her movies!

Lets talk radios some time!

=WR=

vintageredhead

New in Town
Thank you for making me feel so welcome!

I guess I won't go blonde any day soon after those kind remarks!!!

Let's see- to answer your questions, I have a website but it is in need of an overhaul and I refuse to show it to anyone until it is done.(sorry!!) I am looking now for someone with reasonable communication skills to fix it for me. The last guy that tried thought a pink background would be close enough to the sepia I asked for. Maybe his piercings and nose ring got in the way?? (he was a friend of a friend, you know the story!). As for the shot of my son in the Air Force outfit, I will try to find my copy of the Christmas card I mentioned and post it.

Again, I am glad redheads are welcome here, because I really look bad in every other color and I would hate to change it or shave my head to fit in.

Wildroot-I think we have the same problem-I want to live in the past too, and I am determined to do so!! It's funny, I have an old Admiral radio/phonograph that I got years ago at a great antique market (used to be reasonable until antiques became trendy-darn it!!) and we have a radio station here that plays our kind of music which is wonderful! When I was house-hunting, I spent more time looking for wires that would mess up my reception than features like bathrooms,etc! Once we built the house I live in now (which will be sold soon because I am getting a "D"), we put a Bose system in the family room that is graced by my Admiral. Guess how many times the Bose has been on??? Yep- so little that I put the sub woofer away a few years ago!!! The only thing that bums me out is that the light went out on the face and now it doesn't have that gorgeous amber glow when it's on.

I was a member of the Michigan Antique Radio Club years back and I met this guy who lived surrounded by the Holy Grail of Radios!! I swear he had HUNDREDS!!! I thought I had died and gone to Heaven!! He had so many really rare pieces it was amazing. One I was just awed by was a doll that had the player in the body. It was beautiful as a doll, but with the player it was insane. He had put tin ceilings in his modern house and was really making it nice when he had a massive heart attack and passed away. It was hearbreaking to everyone who knew him because he was such a nice guy! I don't know what happened to his collection, I think his wife kept it intact, but I am not sure. It could have been a museum the way he had it set up. You would have loved it!!
I have some really great 78's too-who are your favorites? My kids love it when I crank up the old player-it's so loud!!!

I also have an old pump organ that I restored-it has cigarette burns on it from when the people played it.It's also great for the leg muscles!!

I am rambling now aren't I? I am just so happy to be with kindred spirits!!! (I wondered if I was the ugly duckling but now I am here with all you swans!!!).

I look forward to getting to know everyone-even if many of you are from California and get to enjoy sunshine while I enjoy my Michigan winter!!(yeah, I'm jealous!) Hey Chad-my dad's family is from Mount Jefferson NC and I love it down there!! I have always said I want to die in NC-it's just so beautiful!!!! Warmer than here and without the bugs you get farther south!!!

Back to real life now........
Karen-vintageredhead

Wild Root

Gone Home
The dial light went out on your Admiral? Oh man, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s such an easy fix! Tell ya what, you send me the original bulb and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll send you one that works! I live five minuets from a good friend who owns a vintage radio shop! He repairs them and sells them! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m so spoiled!

The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHoly Grail?¢‚Ǩ? radio for me would be a 1936 Zenith Stratosphere or, a 1935 Scott! Mmmm chrome chassis! Well, I also could go for a 1938 Zenith anything with a robot and shutter dial!

=WR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken