Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here, introduction & bush hats...

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for a while now, interestingly enough because I was searching for info on Barmah hats :eusa_clap

After borrowing one from a friend on occasions, I ordered a Barmah full grain (brown) Bronco, certainly looking forward to it, though it should still take a week or two to get here.. It seems this is a dangerous forum because I put down a 'Dobbs Milan' as a possible next one in case I go on a summer vacation :) Dangerous forum indeed... I unfortunately have a nasty habit of investing a little bit too much time/money in straight razors, hopefully this won't happen to the hats too now!

I wear a hat almost exclusively in the summer months when we head out to the mountains. Rain and sun all pass by, nevermind the occasional fish flipping against my head as I reel it in (don't ask), so I looked for a rugged hat and came to like the above mentioned one.

As a means to ask a question while introducing myself, I was wondering, does anyone here happen to own such an aussie (barmah) hat? Also, in the 'outback' I would imagine it being darn hot, how come they wear LEATHER hats there? Seems like they could get hot (though I read this is not the case)?

byronic

One of the Regulars
Hi and welcome. I had a leather hat once, not a Barmah, but similar. I found it cool in the summer, but I don't know why this was so. Maybe it's because it is a natural material and 'breathes'? But have to say that prefer the looks and venting of a straw for summer.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, Jangjeuh!

I don't have any good info on Barmah hats, but you've hit the nail on the head on something else. This forum is dangerous indeed, if you're looking to limit your collection to 1 or 2 hats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A buddy of mine that is a truck driver had one and he loved it. Loading and unloading that truck every day in the sun, rain, snow and .... sweat. It held up really well.
Johnny
And welcome to the lounge

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Thanks for the quick replies :eusa_clap
I'll certainly post a pic when the hat arrives as I see this is tradition here :)

i'll be placing an order for my girlfriend soon, and saw an opportunity to sneak in an Akubra Capricorn.... :rolleyes: It would be in the color fawn, and frankly quite cheap if converted to EUR, don't think I'll be able to resist :( I browsed the forum and it seems to get good reviews, if anyone wants to post extra pics to convince me, feel free to do so :) :eusa_doh: ;)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Jantjeuh said:
Hello all,
As a means to ask a question while introducing myself, I was wondering, does anyone here happen to own such an aussie (barmah) hat? Also, in the 'outback' I would imagine it being darn hot, how come they wear LEATHER hats there? Seems like they could get hot (though I read this is not the case)?

Hey Jantjeuh welcome on board!

There was a discussion on these hats last year that might be helpful...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=42625

As I mentioned there, the trouble I've had with mine is keeping the mould off it during the wetter months!:eusa_doh:

I personally find the leather a bit sweaty but I've seen plenty of gnarly old dudes and road-workers wearing them in all sorts of weather.

As a general rule Aussies tend to wear their hats in all weather and the "too hot" discussion never occurs. For most country hat wearers I know it's usually too hot NOT to wear your good old rabbit fur Akubra.

The fact that a felt hat was actually FUR and should be for keeping the head warm had never occured to me until I read threads to that effect on this site.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Bush hat.....

miss_me_yet_george_w_bush_hat-p148868120224128215t5k8_525.jpg

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
It is quite unbelievable, the hat was sent on Monday - from Australia - and it arrived, this morning (in Belgium). It takes longer to send a letter by local post around here than receiving a hat from Australia! Excellent!

The hat looks awesome, exactly what I was looking for, the brim is not too wide and not too narrow, and the lady likes it. It`s a little strange that they have such a low crown, but I guess I`ll get used to it. To be honest, I got it to walk around in the mountains etc and to throw it around without having to worry much, but I like it very much and would have no problem wearing it in a non-hiking environment!

I squashed it and all that, gets back into shape right away. The leather seems to be very sturdy and has a nice look to it. I prefer the look over the rather wrinkly Kangaroo version of this hat. But how thick leather this is, I can not describe it, you could easily make boots out of this.

I wore it out in the garden (very hot here today) and it doesn`t botehr much at all.

The size of these hats is rather small though, I took a LARGE one, and it is JUST right, my dad would easily need an extra extra large one then. Again, the low crown is a little difficult to judge at first, the width is just perfect, the hat sits snug, but the crown being so low your head touches it which almost never happens when I wear any other (cheapo) hat, so it`s just me I think, but definitely take care of the size when ordering these hats.

Major thumbs up!

Edit: The hat sits basicaly exactly like on this pic of this random google image: http://www.menshats.co.uk/images/barmah_hats.jpg

So you see, it sits a little higher above the ears, due to the not so tall crown, which is a little strange at first I have to admit, but after about an hour I got used to the feeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe