Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hat Crease on black Stetson

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK, this was my first attempt at changing the bash in a hat crown. It came to me with a Homburg-like, crown-length single dent. I really hated it. And tonight I made it a sort of "C" crown.

I hated the way this thing looked on me with the original crown treatment.

Original crease...

blk_stetson_02.jpg

New Bash...

blk_stetson_newcrease.jpg

blk_stetson_10.jpg

blk_stetson_11.jpg

Notice how in the original treatment it was a far shorter crown? It looked like a bump on my head! LOL

With the new bash it is a taller crown.

My method was just water and my fingers to shape it.

The way this thing smells wet I am guessing it is only a woolie, not fur. Plus the thing seems a bit thicker and less pliable than my fur mix fedoras.

Anyway, I am much happier with it this way and I think I'll keep it now. I was thinking of getting rid of it.

coble

A-List Customer
i really like what you've done with your hat, i think it gave it more style. How it used to be, it looked like it needed that extra love, which you did. Good job on shaping the crown, and lovely hat.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Looks good now. The original bash looks like it had been modified previously, dipping down more in the front than it may have from the factory?

Judging by a single picture, that is.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
It was fun

HarpPlayerGene said:
Classic. :eusa_clap You really dignified that thing. Kinda' fun shaping 'em, isn't it?

Yeah, it was. I was almost afraid to try it, but now the barriers are broken down! LOL Thanks for the kind words.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
Yeah, it was. I was almost afraid to try it, but now the barriers are broken down! LOL Thanks for the kind words.

Warning to MV's better half!!

He is rapidly running out of reasons to not buy a hat...

I wonder how many hats fit in a doghouse?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yuup

I hope she doesn't find THIS site, anyway. She's already mad enough at me. I got three old hatboxes in the mail today. 2 Dobbs double hat boxes from around the 1960s and one Dobbs single box with a nice leather belt and buckle from about the late 40s or early 50s.

If she rolls her eyes anymore she'll go blind!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I may be a little late to the party, but way to go on salvaging that hat, MV !!! :eusa_clap

I hope it doesn't offend when I say that the original bash looked kind of ratty. You have made it quite a handsome lid, though :). Well done!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Thanks

Thanks, Neophyte and azshawn.

No offense at all. I was so disappointed when I opened the box that hat was in originally, I have to say. That bash made it look absurd. I only paid $50 for it, but still I was really bummed by the way it looked.

But after seeing the other threads here about making new bashes and creases, I thought I could salvage the lid. I followed everyone's own techniques and gave 'er a try. I am very happy with the results. It looks like a proper fedora again.

Whoever put that original crease in it made the thing look like a black nipple!! LOL

Mobile Vulgus said:
Thanks, Neophyte and azshawn.

No offense at all. I was so disappointed when I opened the box that hat was in originally, I have to say. That bash made it look absurd. I only paid $50 for it, but still I was really bummed by the way it looked.

But after seeing the other threads here about making new bashes and creases, I thought I could salvage the lid. I followed everyone's own techniques and gave 'er a try. I am very happy with the results. It looks like a proper fedora again.

Whoever put that original crease in it made the thing look like a black nipple!! LOL

I've gotten a few hats in the mail that make you say "what the h*ll is this???" but it's amazing that after some TLC, how much more you can like a hat!

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I agree that you really worked a miracle on that hat! Very sweet! I am confused though, I thought you were from Detroit? I keep thinking I'll try my hand on rebashing a couple hats I have, but they also really need to be reblocked, and the brims trimmed to get the full effect I want. I may just take them to Henry's, see what Joe can do. Very nice job again!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Nope

azhiker said:
I am confused though, I thought you were from Detroit?

Nope, Chicago. It's a cleaner, nicer, less ramshackle Detroit. But it is more violent, so we got that going for us which is nice.

navarre

Vendor
Really good job Mobile! You made that hat wearable. I'm all about saving a hat and giving it a new life.

Warning #1, your going to look at beat up old hats in a different light now and end you even deeper in the doghouse.

Warning #2, She's going to say "You spent what on that hat? Why are you still buying those new hats at full price. The $10 ones you've been fixing up look fine."

Warning #3, We like friends here in the Hat Doghouse and are very encouraging when it comes to getting in trouble for hats. So welcome.
Good form Sir.

www.blacksheephatworks.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe