Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name that Stingy Stetson!?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Hey All,

My wife's grandfather bought this Stetson, and I am lucky to have inherited it, however, its a 7 1/8 and I need a 7 1/4, so I'm trying to figure out what model it is. I've got a few pictures of it on flickr and have measured it's various dimensions, measurements are a bit iffy since i had to eyeball them. The ruler would not conform to the curves and i didnt have a measuring tape around tonight.

It's stretched out with a hat-jack but I think I had to stretch it too much and it looks odd now. Thus I'm considering finding another one in my size.

Any stetson experts have any idea what model I have here?
From what I've seen on some other threads, based on the look of the liner its not vintage or anything.

He also had another one with similar dimensions and stinginess.. with a 'rope'like band and 'furrier' felt, and that says 'Sovereign' inside.. this one doesn't seem to indicate its model name.
Then again my brand new whippet doesn't have it's model name in it either. Do they do this on purpose?

Here's one:
4280378783_0db192dfbd.jpg

Here's the rest:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29458463@N08/sets/72157623105457846/

Thanks for any info or clues you can provide.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I don't know it's name, but I can tell you that it's a very common style, and they sell quite a few variations of that shape.

Also, both Royal and Sovereign are quality levels relating to how nice the hat is. The Sovereign will have have a nicer grade of felt and a nicer sweat. The royal stetson is the entry level hat.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Looks like the Saxon could be a close enough match when i am ready to buy. Im still quite curious what the name of this one is though. It's so odd, this practice of not making it easy to identify the hat by name for when its time to replace them.

Did you look for stickers or tags behind the sweatband? That is a fairly modern Stetson with that liner & sweatband. My modern Stetsons had a perforated tag that left a portion behind the sweatband with the model name, size & color. Also, sometimes there is a number on the back of the sweatband that is used to reorder, but that may be older models....

Musashi

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Did you look for stickers or tags behind the sweatband? That is a fairly modern Stetson with that liner & sweatband. My modern Stetsons had a perforated tag that left a portion behind the sweatband with the model name, size & color. Also, sometimes there is a number on the back of the sweatband that is used to reorder, but that may be older models....

Good idea. I inverted the hat band and checked all around it but there's no markings of any sort on the inside of the band. It does look like some worker chalked an 8 or infinity symbol inside. Also the backside of the size tag has a United Hatters Caps and Millinery Wkrs Union logo on it.

Of course the band is stamped in gold ink with "royal stetson", has the metal Stetson pin, and used to have a feather til I got ahold of it.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Well looks like the Saxon is as close as I'm going to get, and this thread is dying. So as a final note, if anyone is looking to sell a hat like yhis in 7 1/4 size please pm me. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe