Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name That Button!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Well I've just about given up so it's time to ask the knowledgeable and friendly folks here at the lounge. I'm trying to find more of these buttons, or at least figure out what they are called. I have two jackets from the late 30's that use buttons like these and a couple are missing. I've search vintage button sites for more than a year, and once got lucky on Ebay and bought one of these buttons in a set (I have searches set up for vintage buttons). The large one is 3/4" and the small one is 9/16". It's not really a "fake leather button" look (there are lots of those around), but it has an unusual pattern almost like a web.
Thanks in advance!

jacketbuttons.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Were those the ones made by Amalgamated Thingamabob in the 30's?

(I have been waiting weeks to use "Amalgamated Thingamabob.")

I hope someone has a serious answer. It's a neat design.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Were those the ones made by Amalgamated Thingamabob in the 30's?

(I have been waiting weeks to use "Amalgamated Thingamabob.")

I hope someone has a serious answer. It's a neat design.

Clearly you know -nothing-!

Those do not show any of the hallmarks of an Amalgamated Thingamabob button.

I say Acme National Notionry made these. ;)

ps. they vaguely remind me of faux reptile

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The pattern is hard to describe, and I think that is one of the reasons it's been so hard to search for them. It kind of reminds me of how string is woven in the center of a Dream Catcher (you know, those "Native American" things they sell at all the gift shops in Arizona), but I don't really think that is it's intended design.

There are no markings on any of the buttons either. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would suggest that you contact Tender Buttons (212-758-7004) in NYC as they have an expansive inventory (including vintage) and a highly knowledgeable staff.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have yet to find a database on contemporary historic buttons (1920 - 1960) stating their designs and names for designs. Most button societies Ive come across are SO specific, because buttons are soooo varied. :rage:

I did find an Ohio button society, and they have a great complication of sudo modern historic buttons (with pictures!!), but I havent looked through it all the way yet. Maybe you can find the design there or email for more info?

http://www.ohiobuttons.org/EducationalLinks.html

Hope this helps :)

LD

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe