Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Chocolate Crusher That Isn't

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
On eBay, I spotted an item listed as a "Chocolate Officer's Crusher." Being an alert type, I watched it and sniped it at $15. THEN looked more carefully at the pics, with fear...

.... and it arrived today. it isn't an officer's cap, or a crusher. It IS brown. I think it' s a theatrical costume piece. So the search goes on. But - buyer beware! The 7.5 size grabbed me. Color me disappointed! Anyone need a ... whatever it is?

cap.jpg

whatisit.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
Hmmm, the front view is intriguing, even if the mug under it looks a bit perplexed. lol But it does seem a bit WW1-ish from that angle.

Is that a leather visor? Also, the leather of the chin strap appears natural colored, are they the same? I can't quite tell from the lighting in either shot. What type of buttons are holding the strap in place? Brass, gilt, chrome? Any designs embossed? What about the liner, any labeling? any markings on either side of the sweatband?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wel....

Baggers said:
Hmmm, the front view is intriguing, even if the mug under it looks a bit perplexed. lol But it does seem a bit WW1-ish from that angle.

Is that a leather visor?
Yes.
Also, the leather of the chin strap appears natural colored, are they the same?
Yes.
I can't quite tell from the lighting in either shot. What type of buttons are holding the strap in place? Brass, gilt, chrome?
Plain -silver!
Any designs embossed?
Nope.
What about the liner, any labeling? any markings on either side of the sweatband?
Nope.

It certainly isn't this!

ban-hs.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Scot...your Ebay Crusher....

Looks very like Polish military or of 'that ilk' to me from WW2. Keep searching and good hunting!!

Actually just had another look. Does look pre-WW2 US Army.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
PADDY said:
Looks very like Polish military or of 'that ilk' to me from WW2. Keep searching and good hunting!!

Actually just had another look. Does look pre-WW2 US Army.

Our minds are working in a similar line (a fright for you, old sport!). At first I thought it was Soviet surplus/Polish/East German stuff. But that would surely be marked in some way.
It is brand new. The seller said it was made "In Europe" by a company that reproduces such things "for Hollywood." It has a tiny sticker inside the crown with a person's name and 7.5 handwritten on it - presumably the person who was to wear it.
It does have a pretty strong WWI look, and the color makes more sense for the Great War. It is quite heavy with lots of stiffness and a heavy wire.
It's too big for me.

Hondo

One Too Many
scotrace said:
On eBay, I spotted an item listed as a "Chocolate Officer's Crusher." Being an alert type, I watched it and sniped it at $15. THEN looked more carefully at the pics, with fear...

.... and it arrived today. it isn't an officer's cap, or a crusher. It IS brown. I think it' s a theatrical costume piece. So the search goes on. But - buyer beware! The 7.5 size grabbed me. Color me disappointed! Anyone need a ... whatever it is?

cap.jpg

whatisit.jpg

Is that Randy Quaid or Sgt. Pepper? lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Does look quite WW1. But maybe you could modify it? The wire stiffener should come out of the top, which could make it like an early form of the crusher, the makeshift one that they invented in the field and wore until hat makers started making them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally