Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My neck is five inches long!

mister7

Familiar Face
Howdy!

Being an insomniac and all I figured I better get in a little late night posting. The other day I posted on Stanleyvanburens thread and complimented him in a fashion that some of the other posters took exception to. I said "not to sound mean" in regard to Stan's build as compared to some of the other loungers which of course some chose to interpret as a mean spirited remark. I am a very literal person and I meant exactly what I said. Obviously anything one says is open to interpretation, but I hold no disdain for the more corpulent members of our society.

I lack the means of posting pictures of myself, so I dont. I do realize that it takes a certain amount of bravery to put yourself up for potential ridicule from others, so I admire the chutzpah of those who take this risk.

I have an odd body type. I am pretty athletic. I am 6'1" and often weigh less than 150 pounds. My inseam is 37" and my torso is very short, from the depression below my adams apple to my navel is 15 and 1/4". My arms are very long, from fingertip to fingertip (wingspan!) is 78". My waist varies(don't they all) but is usually around 29-30" As the title says my neck is 5" from the depression at the base of my adams apple to the underside of my chin. My chest is 38" unless I flex my lats, then its almost 41". My hat size is tiny, 6 7/8. My hair is very wavy and blonde.

These dimensions dictate a lot of my clothing preferences. Having such a short torso I hate pants with a lot of rise. Makes me look like a 90 year old with his pants up to the bottom of his ribcage. I also like tie knots that use a lot of tie because otherwise the end of the tie will be in my crotch. I often wear bolas because their length is far more suitable for me than most modern ties. I know that there are shorter vintage ties available but I don't like their taper and overall shape. Because of how much my chest size changes I favor baggier jackets. A overly fitted jacket will get its buttons blown off the first time I reach out to open a car door or some similar motion. I always buy 40 long jackets, usually getting a 26 or 26 1/2 sleeve length. Even with this length when I reach out the sleeve will pull back far above my wrist.

Well fitting clothes look nice on me when posing for pictures but are almost unwearable in actual daily use. I am happiest in a nice, loose fitting set of clothes. So I am curious, what preferences have other loungers developed based on their physical peculiarities? Always looking for new ideas. I especially like to see the color combinations that people gravitate to. It is very interesting to see how their choices interact with their hair, skin tone, eye color, etc... Also the angles of their face and body and how those factors interact with their clothes.

MS

Jovan

Suspended
The first thing that comes to mind is that you probably need a tall shirt collar, around 2" high or even more. Your jacket's collar should also come higher, but this is obviously a more expensive undertaking than a custom shirt.

If you need a shorter rise, well, you don't have to look much farther than the mall brands like J. Crew, Banana Republic, and Express. They all offer trousers with a "fashionable" low rise that would probably look just fine on you.

As for the ties, you could always get the ties you have shortened, but that could be expensive. Try www.samhober.com, who will make the length and width to your preferences. You could go pretty short, maybe around 50" or more, if you want to use a four in hand without either of the blades going down past your crotch.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mister7 said:
The other day I posted on Stanleyvanburens thread and complimented him in a fashion that some of the other posters took exception to. I said "not to sound mean" in regard to Stan's build as compared to some of the other loungers which of course some chose to interpret as a mean spirited remark. I am a very literal person and I meant exactly what I said. Obviously anything one says is open to interpretation, but I hold no disdain for the more corpulent members of our society.
Here's what you said:
mister7 said:
not to sound mean about some of the other loungers, but I'm sure a lot of them would kill to have the dimension of their chest exceed that of their waist. Opinions are one thing, but having a decent frame to display it on is entirely another.

IMO, your comment was uncalled for and certainly not germane to a discussion concerning collars and tie knots. BTW, if you feel the need to preface a comment with "Not to sound mean", then you probably should reconsider making the statement.;)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
One thing that you may want to read up on here is the Hollywood/British drape. These suits were made with excess material draped over the shoulder blades and chest to allow freer movement, and in a fashionable sense, create some more drama in that area with the "pleating" of the fabric around the chest between the lapel and the shoulder. That way, the jacket has a dramatic waist suppression from the chest to waist and then to the hips, creating the hourglass silhouette.

mister7

Familiar Face
Rover, never heard the term "Hollywood drape". I'll check it out! I must admit though, I really dig baggy clothes. I have been active and involved in various sports on a daily basis for all my life and I like clothes with some room to move! Also, I mostly won't spend real money on clothes. I mostly buy old clothes on ebay and my top price has to be under $50.00. I look for suits but I'm really buying the pants. Super long pants are pretty hard to come by, my usual seller is someone my height that gained a lot of weight and can't wear the suit they got for a wedding, etc... anymore. I have found that type of person very receptive to an almost insultingly low price when I tell them that I am buying their item to actually wear instead of for resale. I feel nobody likes to think that someone else will make a lot of money off them, but they like it that an item that they liked a lot and has some special meaning to them will be similarly appreciated by the buyer. Anyway, I've gotten some real nice clothes for not much money!

Jovan, I had no idea that there is such a thing as a custom made tie! I will investigate further. Mostly my solution is knots that use a lot of tie, one of the reasons I can identify with Stanleyvanburens big knots. I like the look of them too! I just wish I could tie them as well as he does! Contrary to the opinions many express here I feel they look great on guys with long necks, which I also think look great. I've played a lot of sports with no-neck guys and I have to say I'm glad mine is long instead of short. My attitude is if you've got it flaunt it! I do wish my torso was longer though. Sigh.

I am acquiring a digital camera soon and will post up some of my outfits. I always enjoy seeing the pictures others post. I see combinations of things that I'd never have thought of and I always learn a lot.

Tomasso, someone who describes themselves in such self-effacing terms (odd body type) obviously isn't looking to slag on others, so give it a rest.

MS

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mister7 said:
Tomasso, someone who describes themselves in such self-effacing terms (odd body type) obviously isn't looking to slag on others, so give it a rest.
I haven't the slightest idea as to your intentions concerning that comment but I would suggest that if you'd like to give a subject a rest that you not begin a new thread referencing said subject.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Possibly the strangest thread title I've seen at the FLounge. I think it's the exclamation mark; gives it a kind of EXTREE EXTREE READ ALL ABOUT IT quality. [huh]

mister7

Familiar Face
Jake, thats what happens when you're posting at 3:00am. I got into taking my measurements and I have to admit I laughed out loud when I measured my neck. I mean, I always knew it was long, but jeez! Too bad it doesn't have any connotations that impress the ladies. Oh well.

MS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe