Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Hat Story- Grandpa's Stevens Fedora

A

Ande1963

I've been hanging out here for a month or so, soaking up the amazing wisdom about hats as I start to buy and try various fedoras in my own life. I thought, though, that is might be time to show off what got me into hats in the first place... my Grandpa's Stevens fedora.

My grandpa died in 1994 (for you football fans, it was the day Joe Montana led my Chiefs back against Elway and the Broncos in that classic Monday night game... I always thought Grandpa must've put in a good word with somebody). During my childhood, I often saw him in hats, but only Stetson Western hats. He had a closet shelf full of them, as I recall. Somehow, though, after his death, I ended up with a fedora from his collection.

The hat was made by Stevens. I'm guessing it dates to the fifties, but that's not a very educated opinion. It probably wasn't the best hat you could buy, by any stretch. They likely didn't get top of the line fashion products in Clay Center, Kansas. Still, it compares well to modern fedoras. I love the shape, and the felt is soft and pliable.

Anyway, this hat sat in my closet for over a decade, gathering dust (I like to think it had the moth damage when I got it, but I honestly don't know if that's the case). I would try it on every now and then, decide it looked dorky on me, and put it back on the shelf. I've always flirted with wearing fedoras, but since Grandpa's didn't seem to suit me, I never pursued it. Then, several months ago, for some reason, I decided to get the hat out again, go to the mirror, and give it another try. This time, I pulled the hat down properly on my head and... viola... it suddenly looked okay.

I was hooked. I started seeking out more info on fedoras, which led me to this wonderful forum. I've been buying like crazy since then (forgive me, fellow large-domed collectors, for helping to drive up prices), reveling in the occasional hat that fits perfectly, and promising the wife and myself I'd flip those that didn't soon (still haven't gotten to it!). I’ve also started wearing hats every day when I go out in public. I’m almost past the point of being self-conscious about it!

Anyway, here is the hat that kick-started my obsession. I love that I share my Grandpa's large head size. Even though my bald head measures about 23 7/8, his 7 1/2 size hat fits me perfectly. I love having this tangible thing from his life as a part of my life. I don't wear the hat out much, because it's rather worn, and I don't want to damage it further. I don’t think I would ever have it restored, because I would hate to lose the sweat band that bears the name of the store at which it was purchased. I pop it on every now and then, though, and it always pleases me.

Thanks for indulging me in this rambling remembrance, and thanks to you all for the great wisdom and wit being shared here at the FL!

Anj

grandpa_hat.jpg

nulty

One of the Regulars
An article of clothing or other truly personal everyday item from a someone we love and has passed is a meaningful way to stay connected to that person.

Since I've been posting here I've heard several folks mention that they came to the fedora through a connection with a Grandfather, It was that way for myself completely.

I think it's great you have your Grandfather's hat. I agree with the non restoration. It might be something for future generations to consider......

Have Fun.....

jay

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Steven's was a good hat company like many others of the era, not fancy hats, but good ones. Sortof fits the ideals that I'm guessing your grandfather lived by. The one in your pic appears to be late 50's-early 60s and is a classic style for the time. As hats go, it's not too valuable. As to who wore it and it's story, priceless. You will never be far from him as long as it's around.
As I stated in a recent thread, sometimes a hat is more than a headcovering.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way to hold on to that hat! Keep wearin' it. I wore my grandfather's hat yesterday that was so well restored by Art. Mine had to be restored or it was unwearable. The sweatband wasn't even there anymore. I don't know what sort of shape the hat is in, but you might consider a cleaning and blocking while still using the original parts. From the picture you show the interior looks pretty clean.

We'll chalk you up as another member of the Grandfather's Hat Brigade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82