Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My grandfather's hats

carter

I'll Lock Up
Pete,

That is a beautiful Knox. Anyone who was lucky enough to acquire it, should you decide to sell, would be pleased.

Once again, check the market, and make a considered decision that is best for you.

There will always be buyers. Time is not an issue. Take all you need, and then take a little more. :fedora:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
carter said:
Pete,

That is a beautiful Knox. Anyone who was lucky enough to acquire it, should you decide to sell, would be pleased.

Once again, check the market, and make a considered decision that is best for you.

There will always be buyers. Time is not an issue. Take all you need, and then take a little more. :fedora:
Then sell it to me!

That Knox is a thing of beauty. And seems to be in great condition. And the box, with it's provincial charm of the little deco bag-boy only makes this more desireable.

Looks to have a Cavanagh edge, making it yet more desireable.

If the Mallory is anywhere close to this quality/condition, you have some very desireable hats on your hands. Fortunately these things are not very rare in my small size, but in this size they're rather scarce.

bk

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Baron Kurtz
If the Mallory is anywhere close to this quality/condition, you have some very desireable hats on your hands. Fortunately these things are not very rare in my small size, but in this size they're rather scarce.

..and highly sought after by many of the larger cranium persuasion.

Pete M

New in Town
Ladies & Gents - thanks for the help and replies - I thought I might have something nice here - but I had no way to tell without your help

And Carter - thanks for the advice - these have been in a box for 50 years - a little more time won't hurt -

now for the Cavanagh - first the box - note the ding

dadshatstoo001.jpg

Next the inside - (original tissue removed for the pic)

dadshatstoo003.jpg

Cavanagh - left side

dadshatstoo004.jpg

Cavanagh - right side

dadshatstoo006.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Pete,

Great Leaping Turtles! :eek:

You're going to give someone on this thread a myocardial infarction. Don't you know that pictures like these have been known to induce severe covetousness, not to mention stress, among this gang of afficianados!

That is a PRISTINE Cavanagh Open Crown 7 5/8 Long Oval! :eek: :eusa_clap

Well, not the Holy Grail but, a wonder to behold and seldom seen!

A Two-Hat mother lode. Absolutely Beautiful! :D

My friend, you need to consider very long and hard regarding any sale of those hats. They are something very special and they were your grandfather's.

My advice is to keep them and take very good care of them. You may want to pass them down later in life.

Whatever you do, those two hats will not decrease in value if properly stored and cared for.

Thank you for sharing these images with us. :fedora:

Lamont Cranston

New in Town
Keep the hats.

I also think you should keep your hats. I have been wearing and collecting hats for about 25 years and I have never gotten rid of any of them, so far.

Somtimes I go off of a hat and put it away for a time. I get it out later, somtimes years later, only to find that I really like it again and wonder why I went off it in the first place.
Those sound like very fine quality hats, I think you may regret it later if you sell them now.
They are similar, but they are not the same and you may come to really enjoy the subtle differences between them.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Pete, Keep your grandfather's hats. Even if you seldom wear them, you have a beautiful keepsake from your grandfather. Cherish them. Some day you can show them to your grandson.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Pete M said:
Ladies & Gents - thanks for the help and replies - I thought I might have something nice here - but I had no way to tell without your help

And Carter - thanks for the advice - these have been in a box for 50 years - a little more time won't hurt -

now for the Cavanagh - first the box - note the ding

dadshatstoo001.jpg

Next the inside - (original tissue removed for the pic)

dadshatstoo003.jpg

Cavanagh - left side

dadshatstoo004.jpg

Cavanagh - right side

dadshatstoo006.jpg

I have a gray Cavanagh like this one with the same liner and it is a lovely hat.

There is a senior member here (Andykev) who apparently owns one also and he says it is the softest felt he has ever felt (pun intended).

I didn't here this from Andykev himself, but Zohar told me he said this when I picked up my own Cavanagh.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Pete M said:

Man alive I wish I had a bigger head. lol

Gorgeous hats, the both of them, Pete. If I was in your place, and they fit me, The bailiffs would have to be pounding on my door before I parted with those. Just beautiful.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's up to you...

If you wear them or if they have sentimental value,
why not keep them?

But if you'd rather have the $200 or more that
each would make if you sold them here or on eBay,
then sell them to someone who will enjoy them.

They are top quality hats in excellent condition
in an excedingly rare size
(heads of that size are more common today than
they were in the old days). The box condition
is of no consequence.

All I ask is, if you do sell them, post on this site and
let us know. It'll make the price go up, but at least
we'll know.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Keep them!

Personally I would keep the hats. Depending on the relationship with your Grandfather they are a link to his history and sort of a touchstone or reminder of him. My Grandfather had passed away when I was only two, but I had heard enough stories about him that I felt I had a good connection to him, so certain things that were his I wanted dearly. Same went for my Grandmother eventhough I got to know her through my life. It is a tie to my family history that I otherwise would not have.
I have plenty of things from my Mother that keeps her very real & remembered, and although my Father is still around I have plenty of things from him in my home as well.
Like I said it is a tie to your family & family history. It is always worth keeping around and passing on to your own children & family.
But hey, that's just me. I just have a very strong bond with my family and know most of them, even if I had never met som of them. I just got to know them through the stories.

Cheers!

Dan

nulty

One of the Regulars
Both of those hats are stunning, gorgeous hats. Highly collectible in both cases.

Whether to keep them or sell them , one or both, must be a hard choice. We all have different connections to our pasts. I know for my self, I would keep them.
My Grandfather in his fedora has been and remains my deepest connection to him and to a time in my life in which I was different, time was different....

But again , those hats are worth a good penny brother , so do what you feel you must...

Pete M

New in Town
thanks for the help fellas, I appreciate it.

I'll let the forum know if I decide to sell

Thx again

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust