Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first straw hat

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Well, I finally got my first straw hat.

I had posted before about hoping to buy a Borslino Roma from Bencraft, but they weren't due to arrive, I was told, until July, so I took the plunge today on what strikes me as a similar hat at J.J. Hat Center.

It's got a similiar tigtly woven, pliable straw and a similar toffee color (though maybe a bit lighter than the Borsalino).

This one's a Monterrey Crema, made in Columbia of Panamanian straw. J.J. carries five or six different straw hats by the company, and the gentleman told me they have very good luck with them.

It came with a narrow-ish brown ribbon, but I bought a pleated ribbon of blue-grey to wear with it.

I'm pretty pleased with it, though it's so blamed hot here in NYC today that I sweated through the band on my steamy walk (but I'm a sweater from way back).

straw1.jpg
straw2.jpg
straw3.jpg
straw4.jpg
straw5.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Very, very nice from what I can see. Seems like a quality hat. The hatband color should work well with a lot of clothes and it's kind of different - good different. Bravo!
- Bill (patiently waiting for my Panama Bob in 100F Atlanta weather)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust