Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat = what to choose?

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
I am thinking about buying my frist hat.

I plane to wear it when I wear business clothes (suit/tie/cufflinks/braces/pocket square/overcoat...)

I don't like the "Indiana Jones style" hat because it looks like a farmer's hat.

I like the bowler but it looks too much caricatural because of the famous serie called "bowler and leather boots" in France (where I live).

And I have heard that nobody but guards were wearing a bowler in UK. True ?

I don't want to look like a rabbi either.

I don't like to large hats.

I don't like too narrow hats.

What do you suggest ?

I found that hat.
http://www.chapellerie-traclet.com/hat/product_info.php?products_id=474

What do you think about it ? Know this old French brand ?

You can give it the shape you want.

Thanks

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hiya Carl!

Glad to see ya' here.
The two Flechets I have had have been real merde.
Akubra make several models that resemble your example;

stylemaster-acorn-large.jpg

STYLEMASTER

fedora-burntoak-large.jpg

THE FEDORA

ceo-black-large.jpg

CEO

bogart-black-large.jpg

BOGART

I own three Akubras & the quality is superior for the price & the price is great for such high quality! :D

Others here will vouch for them as well. In addition hats Direct ships faster than a Jackrabbit on a date!

Now if you could only find a vintage Flechet in one of those Parigots' flea markets, eh?
;)

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Rick Blaine said:
Glad to see ya' here.
The two Flechets I have had have been real merde.
Akubra make several models that resemble your example;

stylemaster-acorn-large.jpg

STYLEMASTER

fedora-burntoak-large.jpg

THE FEDORA

ceo-black-large.jpg

CEO

bogart-black-large.jpg

BOGART

I own three Akubras & the quality is superior for the price & the price is great for such high quality! :D

Others here will vouch for them as well. In addition hats Direct ships faster than a Jackrabbit on a date!

Now if you could only find a vintage Flechet in one of those Parigots' flea markets, eh?
;)

Thanks

What is the difference between these hats, taking apart the color ?

They all seem to be the same to me.

I think I don't like the 2 front crease or al least, not on a hat I can not reshape.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Carl,

If you don't want to look like a rabbi, avoid a black hat.

Remember, a hat doesn't have to match your wardrobe exactly. I actually think it looks bad when you wear just one colour. It makes it look like a uniform instead of clothes.

Consider Biltmore, it has quite an elegant look, which you'll want with your suit.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Head over to hatsdirect.com and take a look at the fedoras to really appreciate the differences. Any & all of these can be reshaped to your hearts content, everyday if you so choose.

Incidentally, the 139 Euros for an Akubra sounds like highway robbery!!
The most expensive of that lot at $ 101 USD comes in at less than 69 Euros, even plus shipping & duties that sounds somewhat better... my .02

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Head over to hatsdirect.com and take a look at the fedoras to really appreciate the differences. Any & all of these can be reshaped to your hearts content, everyday if you so choose.

I looked. Now I understand better the difference between them.

I meant reshape with no steam.

The shipping will be expensive but it is possible to avoid taxes because the price is low. I picked up 2 watches from Singapore, they were about 100 euros and I paid no taxes.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Head over to hatsdirect.com

This site is a joke = they still convert French francs and have no euros = SCARY

I think that AKURA is a good brand as it is Australian and Australian are used to wearing hats. Thanks for this advice.

Are these hats made out of rabbit skin ???!!!!!!

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Doctor Strange said:
If HatsDirect won't work, Akubra also has distributors in Europe (including France). Maybe you could do better by contacting one of them? See this page at Akubra's offical site for a list of other dealers:

http://www.akubra.com.au/distributors.html

Thanks
I already saw that but the link doesn't give any adress where I could try on the hat and buy.

It is rather a site about Australie and there is a part about hats.

They say 90% of Australian wear or wore a hat and that in 7 states, hats are compulsory in schools. Is it true ?

Socrets

Familiar Face
Cufflinks_Carl said:
Thanks
I already saw that but the link doesn't give any adress where I could try on the hat and buy.

It is rather a site about Australie and there is a part about hats.

They say 90% of Australian wear or wore a hat and that in 7 states, hats are compulsory in schools. Is it true ?

Apparently it is. According to the following website anyway. if I can find a slightly more authoritative source, I'll post it.

http://www.teachnet.com/how-to/manage/hats000916.html

NonEntity

Suspended
Cufflinks Carl,

Take a look at this Akubra Sydney http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

You can read about it on that site, but I got mine a month ago, and it is well on its way to being my all-time favorite fedora. Here's a few things I'll tell you about it that's not on that web site:

The pure rabbit under-fur felt is very, very soft, which makes the open crown easy to shape, and you can change it as many times as you please. The brim, however, is quite rigid, enabling you to snap down the front in the clasic fedora style.

The Sydney is also the most right-out-of-the-box comfortable hat I've ever owned; no break-in is required. Though I just got mine and thus cannot speak to its long-term durability, I wear it a lot and so have been caught in several driving rains. Even so, water never soaked through to the scarlet-red satin lining, and the hat still looks brand new. Also, some Akubras run large, but the Sydney fits true to size.

As for Akubras in general, I have a 35+ year-old Slouch--the famous turned-up-on-one-side Australian military hat--and a 10-year-old Banjo Patterson, and can tell you they are very high quality and not a hat you have to baby to make last a really long time and keep nice looking. And as mentioned previously, there is overwhelming consensus that Akubras are by far the best value in hats being manufactured today.

Getting the Sydney from David Morgan in Seattle, WA USA might be prohibitively expensive as far as shiiping goes, but I'm sure you could find a source nearer to France.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe