Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Ebay hat!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Did I do good?

This is a trick question, right? You got one of the best hat brands ever made, and the rare "bow in the back" model, too! When you get it, please, please, please post pics on this thread or on the earlier thread dedicated to Disney lids. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes...I looked at that one last night actually. It did strike my interest actually, I believe you will certainly be pleased.

I have bought a fedora from that seller before-very good quality.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'd say you did very well! :eusa_clap A good brushing when you get it and you'll be in business.

Disney hats have a good reputation, though I don't know if they had been bought out by the time that hat was made. As for the seller, Rilico, in my experience is an excellent person to do business with.

Enjoy!
Tom

dhermann1 said:
I just won this on Ebay. Did I do good? Does it look like a good buy?
I've bid on a couple of other hats (that were definitely nicer) that I didn't win. But this looks pretty cool to me. So what do my esteemed colleagues think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280152239608

A 1955 back bow Disney and you are asking if you did well? lol lol lol
Geez, I wish I had your hat size. I was wondering who the lucky buyer of that was at that price.
All I can say is :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

g831.jpg

Oops! My mistake. Its not a 1955 its a 1953. :D

Regards,

J

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The side dent in that bottom hat illustration points out something I've noticed in genuine vintage hats. The modern hats look so caved in smoothly, and the vintage hats have that, I'm not sure how to describe it, uneven, or irregular transition around the edges of the bash, be it the top or sides, that make them look like crushed paper, not felt. Does this mean the felt was very soft, very thin, or both?

dean

duggap

Banned
Naw, you definitely don't want to keep that ole piece of junk. It may make your ears fall off. Now my shipping address is..... Oh never mind. I probably couldn't talk you out of it anyway. But, BTW, you did just snag one of the more desirable hats that comes down the pike. Congrads.:eusa_clap

deanglen

jamespowers said:
Probably both. ;) :p

Now you're thinking that I asked a pretty obvious question, aren't you JP? ;) But the fact is I haven't seen anyone's vintage lids looking like that in all the pictures posted in the Lounge. I mean like Chevalier's or Dinerman's or even Douglas'. They all have nice clean side dents. So.. if it IS just softness and thin felt, where are existing vintage hats that look that way, or are folks just smoothing them out more than the owners of the original era would have?

dean

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm pickled tink! I found the Lounge ( I think . . . . ) looking for hat info. I had had a brown Stetson Chatham for a couple of years, that I left in a cab. :eusa_doh: I think that got me on the Lounge. I've made about a zillion posts on various topics, but I've remained pretty much of a rookie in the hat department. I got a nice Stetson Vintage at ******** Hatters last May, but I've been on the lookout ever since for something more authentically vintage. And I've been slowly learning. I have a nice wool top hat, a pith helmet, a WW II Civil Defense helmet. But only with this purchase do I feel like I've really joined the club. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Excellent lid, I was looking at that myself. And I currently have a bid on another disney hat that I'm hoping to snag. What's really hard about the disneys is how difficult it is to search for them on the bay with "Disney" in the search title. Gotta go through a great many mouse ears that way...

deanglen said:
Now you're thinking that I asked a pretty obvious question, aren't you JP? ;) But the fact is I haven't seen anyone's vintage lids looking like that in all the pictures posted in the Lounge. I mean like Chevalier's or Dinerman's or even Douglas'. They all have nice clean side dents. So.. if it IS just softness and thin felt, where are existing vintage hats that look that way, or are folks just smoothing them out more than the owners of the original era would have?

dean

I see what you mean. People are smoothing them out more than the original owners would have in my opinion.
KnoxTwoTonefront.jpg

This about what you are describing? Kind of like these fellas having a picnic in the 1940s too?:
1940spicnic.jpg

Regards,

J

deanglen

I'm thinking of the hats I've seen in vinatge adand like the fedoras in these pictures by Marc Chevalier in his hat store thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21548&highlight=Hat+store+photos

They are very"organic", asymmetrical bashes, the side dents look like the craters in an open quart of ice cream after you've scooped some out. I could not get my 3x OR to do that, when it was mine.

dean

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I suspect back in the day, 90% plus of men owned one hat that they wore more or less all the time. That would account for a bash that was the result of constant bashing. Harry Hopkins was famous/infamous for having a hat that looked like it had been through the wars.

dhermann1 said:
I suspect back in the day, 90% plus of men owned one hat that they wore more or less all the time. That would account for a bash that was the result of constant bashing. Harry Hopkins was famous/infamous for having a hat that looked like it had been through the wars.

That is likely a good reason as well. They also generally hand bashed their hats because they came open crown until Lee came out with the blocked forever or water bloc idea.
That allowed for more individuality in bash types and definitely a more organic look as it was but remember wood blocks are organic. ;) :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust