Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies set between 1933 and 1946?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Can you guys recommend me some good movies set in the height of the Golden Era, which show off the glitz and elegance of the time? I'm talking about films which are very period accurate in terms of fashion, cars, etc? I ask because I'm watching a sci do noir ish film called The Thirteenth Floor and the segments of the film set in 1937 reignited my love for the Golden Era

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wasn't The 39 Steps set just before WWI, or was that the original novel? I know there are at least two movie adaptations. One was made in the 1930s and one made in the late '60s, I believe.

rjb1

Practically Family
For "glitz and elegance" try any of the William Powell movies:
"The Thin Man" or "My Man Godfrey", for example. Although in the second, the glitzy and elegant people are portrayed as snobbish and mean idiots.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lubistch's "Trouble In Paradise," the ultimate movie example of a shimmery art-deco fantasy land that never actually existed. For extra fun, watch the Marx Brothers destroy these same sets in "Duck Soup."

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Lubistch's "Trouble In Paradise," the ultimate movie example of a shimmery art-deco fantasy land that never actually existed. For extra fun, watch the Marx Brothers destroy these same sets in "Duck Soup."

I forgot about Duck Soup, an art deco fantasy land indeed! Hail Freedonia.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Do you mean MODERN 'period films/historical films/dramas' set in the 1930s and 40s? Or films FROM the 1930s and 40s? I'm a bit confused here.

Me too. That's why I was asking those questions about The 39 Steps. It was a novel, written in ~1917, but took place in 1914, a few months before WWI started. The 1930s film adaptation was set in its present day and the late 1960s adaptation was also set in its present day . . .

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite movies, that highlights the differences between high society and the rest of us, made in the same period which it portrays, is It Happened One Night (1934). There are few scenes that show the opulence of the very wealthy.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Any of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers musicals. Topper, starring Cary Grant. Glamor was really more a feature of thirties movies.

Platinum Blonde. It Happened On Fifth Avenue. Nothing Sacred. Pretty much any screwball comedy of the thirties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld