Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More bad luck with an unreeded sweatband

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
Well, I won an auction for a Beaver Top Hat in "excellent condition" for my daughter for christmas and the dang sweatband is almost unattached. :rage:

Of course it's not reeded so I don't know what the heck to do now.

It's absolutely beautiful besides that fact and the sweat looks as new as my Jaxon Iconoclast's but the thread is gone.

I'll post some pics when my daughter isn't around. It was almost half of her allotted money too....:mad: :(

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Sure can be a tedious process (one that can sometimes make a hat feel more your own) but if the leather really is still tough, it's possible to re-sew it through the original holes.

Problem is that those toppers are such stiff cans. I have one with no ribbon and will need to rectify that but I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Please do show pictures. One of us may be able to suggest or help directly. Back in the day, this kind of thing was no big deal, like occasionally getting your tires rotated nowadays. Nothing to be heartbroken about, just part of regular maintenance on a valuable article. Now, however, the shipping of a bulky hat is the punitive part which adds up quick.

G'luck!

ALL*HeLL

New in Town
Lefty said:
to find threads you've started:
click your name, then click on threads started by all*hell.

there it is
This is a completely different hat. Thanks though.

That was an Adam fedora, this is a top hat whose maker name escapes me at the moment.

You do keep on monitoring the halls and stifling discussion though. ;) :rolleyes:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
ALL*HeLL said:
Well, I won an auction for a Beaver Top Hat in "excellent condition" for my daughter for christmas and the dang sweatband is almost unattached. :rage:

Of course it's not reeded so I don't know what the heck to do now.

It's absolutely beautiful besides that fact and the sweat looks as new as my Jaxon Iconoclast's but the thread is gone.

I'll post some pics when my daughter isn't around. It was almost half of her allotted money too....:mad: :(

Try sending it ( the sweatband) to JW hats and see if they will sew a reed on it for you & install the leather again. Since Jim makes his own sweats he can easily do the sewing.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ALL*HeLL said:
Thank you so much Art, I will contact him. :)

Call him - his email doesn't work.

I asked JW if he could replace the reed tape on a 1920's fedora that had a good leather sweatband, and he said he probably could. The stitching will not be as tight as the original sweatband - he admitted this as well.

He's fixed a few hats for me in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe