Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montague Burton CC41 Suit 36

Here the latest bullet i need to bite down upon. This is just too big for me. It is a true size 36. Made by Montague Burton with CC41 labels in each piece. There are two very small (~1/8") mends at the bottom of the right outseam. They're quite well done and certainly would never stop me wearing it.

Measurements

Jacket
Chest: 20.25"
Waist: 18"
Shoulder: 17.25"
Back Length: 29"
Arm from shoulder: ~23.5"

Waistcoat
Chest: 19"
Length from collar to tip: 22.5"

Trousers
Waist: 32"
Outseam: 41.5"
Inseam: 29"
Cuff: 10", 1.75"

Burton1.jpg
Burton2.jpg

Burton3.jpg
Burton4.jpg

External suspender buttons, button fly. No watch pocket and offset double button waistband fastening. No extender tab at waistband.

Burton6.jpg

Suspender buttons are etched Montague Burton. And a CC41 label.

Burton5.jpg
Burton9.jpg

From the inner top right pocket of the waistband.

Burton7.jpg

And the Montague Burton label in the jacket.

Burton8.jpg

Burton10.jpg

As always, PM interest.

bk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why oh Why...

...are these cracking suits always too small for me?[huh] You want to know something else Mr B-K..? That suit looks good on you from the photos, really good. But you know better than anyone how well a good fitting suit feels 'on you.'
Gents, start the queue for this gem!!:eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Goody bags..?

"Come to Mamma!!":D

"Right, back to business gents, great little three-piece-number here, roll on up...!!!" :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I must add that Burton was possibly the best maker of OTR demob-type suits . . . This one displays top notch workmanship throughout.

bk

Possibly? Definitely! In the 1940s Burton's Hudson Road factory was the largest clothing factory in the world - it had a canteen that would seat 3000 people - and there were two sittings for dinner!

Montague promised, 'A five guinea suit for 55 shillings' . The subtlety of this sales pitch will, I fear, be lost on many people nowadays. Can anyone work out the price from the label in BK's suit?

He was still undercut by 'The Fifty Shilling Tailor', but had the undoubted edge in terms of quality. As you say, BK, working class couture at its best - a 'Full Monty' was what every working man aspired to in the 40s and 50s.

At that time there were street protests in India against cheap textile and clothing imports from Lancashire and Yorkshire putting local people out of work.

How things have changed in my lifetime. Sometimes it's not easy being old...

Alan

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
Possibly? Definitely! In the 1940s Burton's Hudson Road factory was the largest clothing factory in the world - it had a canteen that would seat 3000 people - and there were two sittings for dinner!

Montague promised, 'A five guinea suit for 55 shillings' . The subtlety of this sales pitch will, I fear, be lost on many people nowadays. Can anyone work out the price from the label in BK's suit?

He was still undercut by 'The Fifty Shilling Tailor', but had the undoubted edge in terms of quality. As you say, BK, working class couture at its best - a 'Full Monty' was what every working man aspired to in the 40s and 50s.

At that time there were street protests in India against cheap textile and clothing imports from Lancashire and Yorkshire putting local people out of work.

How things have changed in my lifetime. Sometimes it's not easy being old...

Alan

Alan, ironically, the protests during the early Industrial revolution oop North stopped the import of cheap clothing from India when that first cut in (eg Madras cloth etc) Plus ca change...

Alan Eardley said:
Possibly? Definitely!

I was trying not to offend the Hepworths afficianados ;)

Alan Eardley said:
Can anyone work out the price from the label in BK's suit?

errr, i think 195 shillings old money. But old money was out 7 years before my birth so i'm not the person to convert that value. My dad would know, though. he's been regaling me with stories of going in to Aberdeen to get his first John Collier suit made up in 1963.

bk

Micawber

A-List Customer
Ah, proper money! Like Alan I'm old enough to remember and have used it. I distinctly remember teaching my grandparents the difference between the old and the new back when we went decimal.

So, 12d (12 old pennies) = 1 shilling ( 1/- )
20 /- = £1.

Nice suit BTW BK

I think the biggest mistake in the changeover was the retention of the term "shilling" to describe 5 new pence. They should have stamped out all use of old money terms other than pence/penny as the basic unit. retaining Shilling just made it more confusing in the long run. (though i cannot see how a 'base ten' system can ever be confusing)

bk

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Micawber said:
Ah, proper money! Like Alan I'm old enough to remember and have used it. I distinctly remember teaching my grandparents the difference between the old and the new back when we went decimal.

So, 12d (12 old pennies) = 1 shilling ( 1/- )
20 /- = £1.

Nice suit BTW BK

And 195/ (shillings) is nine pounds fifteen shillings. Ahh, I enjoyed saying that. It sounds worth a lot, somehow. Let's add a tanner. Nine pounds fifteen and sixpence. Sounds like it's worth even more now, eh? Real money we had in them days, not like now...

As MB tended to price their suits at about a weeks wage (oops, I nearly put 'salary') for the average working man, that would put this suit around around the early 1950s, wouldn't you think, Bro? When did CC41 end - I think it was still being used in 1952?

Alan

Warden

One Too Many
I cannot believe it, I am too big for it.

What a shame, as it is a real find.

Harry

Micawber

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
And 195/ (shillings) is nine pounds fifteen shillings. Ahh, I enjoyed saying that. It sounds worth a lot, somehow. Let's add a tanner. Nine pounds fifteen and sixpence. Sounds like it's worth even more now, eh? Real money we had in them days, not like now...

As MB tended to price their suits at about a weeks wage (oops, I nearly put 'salary') for the average working man, that would put this suit around around the middle of the 1950s, wouldn't you think, Bro?

Alan

Aye, if you reckon on 8 quid a week average in the early 50's.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Got the answer...

Clothing control on men's suits ended in 1949. That would probably be the last date for this beauty. If it's earlier, that makes it one hell of an expensive suit! Mind you, that's what it looks like even today.

Alan

Alan Eardley said:

As MB tended to price their suits at about a weeks wage (oops, I nearly put 'salary') for the average working man, that would put this suit around around the early 1950s, wouldn't you think, Bro? When did CC41 end - I think it was still being used in 1952?

Alan

I thought the clothing rationing had finished earlier than the end of general rationing.

(p.s. this waistcoat has only 5 buttons. Wasn't this one of the CC41 limitations? When did they start putting 6 buttons in waistcoats again? Certainly by the mid 1950s.)

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe