Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching Stratoliner tie clip

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
We've all seen the little airplane pins we like to put on our Stratoliner hats, now check this out. I picked this up at an antique show over the weekend. It perfectly matches the pin. Now if I'm wearing a tie and my Stratoliner I have a matching set on my hat and tie. First time I've ever seen one.

IMG_20070909_0001-1.jpg

fedoralover

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
That's so amazing, I almost want to cry. Just imagine, something that was once almost common for a brief period of time is now incredibly rare. And you found one in great condition. That's just spectacular :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Find! Can't wait to see them in action. ;)

BTW, there is a shop at Preston Center in Dallas called Tie Coon that sells amazing sets of matched vintage jewelry for men as well as vintage watches and other ephemera.

EricH

One of the Regulars
I've got to start fishing in different ponds like yours. Do you think the clip is a coincidence of manufacture or was there a stratoliner clip at one time? No matter a great find nonetheless. Congrats! Eric

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I don't really know for sure, but I think it's more likely a TWA tie clip that perhaps pilots wore. But it does match regardless of it's original intent.

fedoralover

RBH

Bartender
I love it! It would also be sweet to find some cufflinks that matched.
I have two pins, one has the TWA on it like yours [a service pin] and one that has no marking on it [I think an original Stratoliner hat pin]
I have the one with no markings on my Strat and the other I placed on my Campdraft.

fatwoul

Practically Family
It's possible that the tie clip is a one-off. The plane looks almost as if it was taken from a pin and placed on the tie clip, perhaps by a jeweller or something.

Looks good either way, but it's cool to think it might be unique.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I'm not so sure. On one hand, it does look like perhaps the plane isn't positioned so perfectly on the clip, but at the same time, I can't see the tie clip looking like something people would want without it. Only time travel will tell, I suppose...

Nice tie clip . . .

. . . But not a stratoliner, surely? A DC-3, i think.

I use the same pin, but it is incorrect since a Stratoliner had 2 engines on each wing.

I have seen (here) some [edit: what i've always assumed are] original pins for Stratoliner hats and they had the twin engines per wing.

(here's the pic stole from Dixon Cannon.

2ad2075c.jpg

bk

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
. . . But not a stratoliner, surely? A DC-3, i think.

I use the same pin, but it is incorrect since a Stratoliner had 2 engines on each wing.

I have seen (here) some original pins for Stratoliner hats and they had the twin engines per wing.

(here's the pic stole from Dixon Cannon.

2ad2075c.jpg

bk

That's a Boeing 307 I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe