Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marketing and commercials

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have been reading the "where's the hat news" thread and as I have read it I kept asking myself where are the new hat commercials and print adds.
I love to watch "Mad Men" now here is a show just ripe for Stetson cross marketing and licensing. Cable commercials are cheaper then over the air network shows. On a local level Hat shops could do add buys during the show. A Mad Men named hat or the Draper or the Sterling Cooper now those could sell. Where is the Hatco member to talk about this. What a squandered opportunity. Thoughts?

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
$$$s may have something to do with it. Average cost (production only ) of a 30 second spot is currently running in the $150,000.00 / 30 seconds and cost to air a spot during Prime Time programing is in the neighborhood of $100,000.00/30 second spot. Thats just the cost for ONE ad run ONE time. So if you run ads during a whole season, you can do the math. It would be quite a chunk of change for what are basically small firms in todays marketplace. :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Local does not cost that much on cable how about product placement. It could be a small as a 5 sec tag this episode brought to you by Ed's Hats. Say paying to have a Stetson add story line on Mad Men?

Jeff

mycroft000

New in Town
Production on a 30 second commercial shouldn't cost anywhere even remotely close to that, at least not if done by people in the Video production community, maybe for a 35mm film format commercial. I could put together a full 30 second commercial, from preproduction to post for under $30,000, and that's assuming I get everything I could possibly even imagine wanting on set, and including studio rental for several days.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Am not saying it could not be done, just that I'm sure these firms have gone over this all and the numbers don't work. Prime Time ad placement etc. is the most expensive!! Check into what kind of $s IBM spends for their "... I'm an IBMer" commercials during prime time, it's MILLIONS !! :) As Bertolt Brecht wrote in 1923, ".... money makes the world go round ." :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Production on a 30 second commercial shouldn't cost anywhere even remotely close to that, at least not if done by people in the Video production community, maybe for a 35mm film format commercial. I could put together a full 30 second commercial, from preproduction to post for under $30,000, and that's assuming I get everything I could possibly even imagine wanting on set, and including studio rental for several days.

Sounds good. You need to contact Stetson and tell 'em you can get their National Prime Time Advertising for 1/4 the cost!! Go for it :)

JimWagner

Practically Family
I don't see how you'd see national hat manufacturers' ads on TV before you'd see their hats in your local retail outlets. Doesn't do much good to pay good money for air time when your intended customers across the nation have nowhere local to go to buy your product.

Those of us already motivated to buy hats will find them online and pretty much already know what we want.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have been reading the "where's the hat news" thread and as I have read it I kept asking myself where are the new hat commercials and print adds.
I love to watch "Mad Men" now here is a show just ripe for Stetson cross marketing and licensing. Cable commercials are cheaper then over the air network shows. On a local level Hat shops could do add buys during the show. A Mad Men named hat or the Draper or the Sterling Cooper now those could sell. Where is the Hatco member to talk about this. What a squandered opportunity. Thoughts?

Jeff

As for that show to advertise on, might not be a good idea according to the current #s it is generating. Here's some #s as of August 2010:

http://petertypingfaster.wordpress....ul-show-with-the-least-amount-of-advertising/

fmw

One Too Many
Insightful and correct comments, I think. You can create a market with advertising but it is very expensive and effective only for very large companies. The key to advertising is reach and frequency (how many target customers see your ad and how often.)

Small companies like mine get no mileage from advertising. Local adveritising doesn't reach a large enough demographic. National advertising is guaranteed to cost more than it generates. That's one of the reasons large companies tend to put small companies out of business.

If the fine hat industry isn't dead it is fairly close. You don't see national advertising for ball caps either and they are probably 95% of the market - at least in terms of units sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe