Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mackey Hats

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Have any lounge members bought western hats from Mackey? They look great on their web site. I'm wondering about their quality.
Thanks, Uncle Vern

Mark G

A-List Customer
I have two, one about 8 years old and the other just purchased last year. They are both pure beaver. One is natural, the other bone. I really think they are an excellent value. I'll send some pics later (don't have time now). I've seen some hats that go for three times as much and don't look any better. One is a telescope with a flat brim and I have never been able to keep one in shape like I have this one.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Mackey

Thanks, Mark. I'll stand by for photos when you have time. One of the reasons I like Mackey's hats is that he makes a lot of them with six-inch crowns. I'm six feet tall and long-limbed, so a western hat with a 5-inch or 5.5-ich crown doesn't work for me except for Open Roads and their cousins, and even then, I still end up wishing they were taller and wider.
Also, they have a nice look to them. Even though he's using well-known blocks, his hats seem to have a look of their own. I guess I'm talking myself in to buying a hat from him.

Mark G

A-List Customer
The bone hat I ordered blocked in the "Conagher", the natural I ordered open and shaped myself. The great thing about all beaver is that I shaped the hat first as a cattleman, then a diamond before settling on the telescope. I've done a lot of hat shaping and this hat was the easiest of any I've ever done.

I also like the fact that it is a family; Husband, wife and son. Their prices are great and I recieved both hats within a week of placing my order. They don't have a lot of frills but a solid deal.

Oh and the hitched horse hair band and concho are something I found on my own.

Bone.jpg

Natural.jpg

sweat.jpg

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Mackey

Thanks for posting the beautiful photos. I need to save up my money for a pure beaver Mackey. I like the fact that it's a small. family-run business.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Mackey

About six months ago, I bought a hat in an antique mall here in Austin. For want of a better description, it's stingy-brim Open Road, with a full crown and a 2.25-inch ribbon brim. Because of my size, I assumed that I'd look like a circus bear in the damn thing, and maybe I do to other folks, but danged if it isn't the coolest little hat. The print on the sweat states that is was "Custom made by Western Hatters, Brownwood, Texas, for Elmer C. Haynes Jr. "
Over the course of the last few months, I've tried to contact someone in the store. Yesterday, someone answered the phone. It turns out that they're only open a few days a week. With these old hats, I usually assume that the business is long-gone. You drive through these lil' ol' Texas towns and all you'll see for sale in mens' stores is polyester baseball caps.
It turns out that Western Hatters is alive and well. An elderly woman with a thick twang picked up the phone and was kind enough to chat with me. When I described the stingy-brim to her, she knew exactly what I was talking about. Then she giggled and said "I haven't made one of those in over fifty years!" She must be in her 80's. I could clearly tell that she liked that model. Then she said "We actually make the whole hat here," letting me know that they're not just decorating blanks. I was was delighted to find out that they're still kicking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally