Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a vintage pen-pal... with ink?

missjo

Practically Family
Of course the internet is delovely but nothing beats a real letter.
I would love to receive letters written the old fashioned way, send in a envelope with old stamps (inside envelope with modern stamps), perhaps with a old fashioned photo, a card, etc.
A letter out of time, someone writing me as if its the 1930s.
So how about it?
Interested in writing and receiving real mail from the past?
Then simply sign up here and who knows, someone might start writing you.

I put myself forward as well.
34 year old Dutch woman living in the late 1930s and waryears.
Would love to write with everyone about everything.
Simply because I want to read old style letters while listening to the grammaphone.
And because I would love to collect a bunch of old letters I can keep in the little Letters Stand on my 1930s desk ;)

missjo

Practically Family
Fantastic!
Anyone wanting to write with me, pm me your address and i will send you a vintage card to get things started!
You better write me back or I send some german soldiers to get the card back ;)

And if you are interested in writing with other people, simply post here that anyone can pm you for your address.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
This is a great idea!

I miss writing letters, so long as no one minds lined school paper every so often,the fact that I won't have a ton of time to write because of school, but I will try to write regularly, and a slow postal system I'd love to be involved.:)

missjo

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Just a note:

There is already another pen pal thread.

This thread sounds slightly different in that it involves 'recreating' the actual style and content of letters from the Golden Era.

So I would suspect it depends on what sort of pen palling you want, as to whether you want to go hunt the other thread down and add your name there.

Is the other thread just for people wanting to write to each other?
I wouldnt want modern letters ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
Is the other thread just for people wanting to write to each other?
I wouldnt want modern letters ;)

Exactly, hence my saying that others who perhaps don't want to emulate vintage style letters might be better off on the other thread.

Was not suggesting you needed to change a thing.

Denise

missjo

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Exactly, hence my saying that others who perhaps don't want to emulate vintage style letters might be better off on the other thread.

Was not suggesting you needed to change a thing.

Denise

cheers

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
missjoeri said:
....someone writing me as if its the 1930s.
So how about it?

......living in the late 1930s and waryears.

.....Simply because I want to read old style letters while listening to the grammaphone.

Sounds really great to put one's self into a 1930s aura!

I fancy the 40s and in my personal time when the family is away, I will find myself dressing vintage, listening to old radio piped in from and MP3 (well hidden) through a Crosley. I'll read vintage magazines and put myself into a 40s aura.

My "someday" dream is to have a small house by a pond that is completely 1940s. That means furniture and everything. Much like a complete museum exhibit but just for me to retreat to.

That's how I relax!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Joeri, before we begin...

...shall I weave fanciful stories of what I might have been doing in the late 30s?

...shall I adapt actual events of 2007 as if they'd happened then?

...shall I do as you do and "live" a 30s day every so often, and write about that?

Either, any or all would be my pleasure.

missjo

Practically Family
Excellent, what I would like is to write with you pretending its the late 1930's, pick a year, any year.
This way I will learn about what your daily life in the 1930s could have been where you live and you can learn about what my life could have been like had I lived back then overhere.
Furthermore, we will end up with a bunch of 1930s looking letters with 1930s stories!
Wouldnt they be fun to show or to bring with you to a retro event like a ww2 reenactment or just to casually lay on a 1930s desk?

Anyone interested, just pm me your address and I'll send the first letter.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a great idea! I'm a member of the "pen pal" group (from the other thread), and have very much enjoyed corresponding with others about things in general. However, a "period" letter would be an interesting endeavor.

I used to correspond regularly with several folks using the 1770's as a time frame (laid paper, quill and ink, et el). We tried to talk about present-day things, but in an "18th century context". For example, my character lived on the frontier of North Carolina. During the 1770's, Indian raids into this area occurred frequently. In real-life, I'm a volunteer Fire Chief, so writing through my 18th century persona (a county militia officer), whenever our department answered a house fire call, I could write about "the Indians attacked John Doe's cabin last week and burned it to the ground".

It was a lot of fun, and was educational as well, as we learned to use the writing style of the period. The only potential "glitch" to the project you are wanting to start would be to match each other's "time periods" (i.e. if you are in the 1930's and I'm in the 1940's or 1920's, then it would make correspondence somewhat difficult). However, I don't think this would be too difficult to overcome.

I would be glad to correspond with anyone who would like to concentrate in the late 1920's to the late 1930's. My "character" would be myself, living where I do now, in rural western North Carolina. I work full-time at a State mental hospital, so I think I could write some "interesting" letters with that as a back drop from time to time.

PM me if you would like to exchange letters.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Great idea, I used to have loads of penpals when I was younger but never anything 'vintage'... If I sent someone a letter nowadays they'd think I was crazy and ask why I didn't send a text message!:mad:

But I love writing letters - yay! PM me if you'd like to correspond.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe